Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...have never driven or even ridden in a 55-57 chevrolet?

I have been into hot rods and racecars my whole life. I have had a license for 20 years now,and I have had some pretty cool cars.One car is my beloved 67 chevelle (you can see in my album pics). I have always wanted a 57 chevy(especially a 150),but I have never been in or driven one.Am I alone?

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
You need to find a trifive member close, and live a little. If you're not hooked on trifives already, you will be once you drive one!

·
Administrator
49,940 Posts
I drove my 57 for the first time when i was 17. I already loved them and REALLY loved them after that. Go find a friend with a tri five and see if you can drive it.
Terry

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I bought my 1st trifive (a 56,150) in 1963... The streets were loaded with them back then... Seems like everybody and their grandmother had one then... I can't believe you never had the pleasure of driving/riding in one:confused0024: I hope someone here reads this and offers you a ride or even better a drive in their trifive... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Belairdave has me by a couple years. First car was a 55 210 (in 66).
I managed to wreck or blow up 5 cars in the next 2 years but in 67 I bought a 57.
As Dave stated,they were everywhere then. There are a ton of tri-fives around now but the price is a lot steeper.
I actually have a blast driving any 50's car.Just getting back to 40 cars and I am equally impressed if not more-so_Old cars are fun so if you can't afford a tri-five,I am sure that you can find something from the 50's that will bring you a lot of enjoyment. When it comes to cars,'old is fun'.-Keith

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
In 1966 my dad picked up a 57 turquoise post 2 door for a "work car" we had a new burgundy 2 door 66 Impala my mom drove...I was 8 years old at the time.

Fifteen years later in 1981 my buddy bought a dark blue and white 4 door 57 post we would ride to work in each day at the auto part store a couple towns over...nothing like the personality of these old girls......Now I just have to get my 56 on the street !!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've taken my un-registered 57 out on the road a few times for test runs with the new motor & tranny, not very far though.
It certianty is a lot different from the feel of modern days cars.
It's an amazing feeling watching the hood rockets as you turn corners, as you striaghten the car up and put the peddle down the front raises up as if the rockets are going to take off and launch up the road.

Well thats how it looks to me!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have a friend who is a die hard Mopar fan, hates everything GM and Ford...he says he has never ridden in/driven any car other than a Mopar...I find it hard to believe:rolleyes: yet he has no desire to drive or ride in my '55 and I've offered several times...his loss:). He wouldn't even drive my or ride in my Cobra and most everyone I've ever met jumped at the chance for a ride or to drive that car...even those that bleed Chevy orange:)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Had mine since 1976, my first car:D the first drive in her was 900 miles from Auburn CA to Spokane WA. I was 17 at the time.
I can't imagine never riding in one, seems to me there should be someone close that would take you for a ride, then you'll really be hooked.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I've never driven one legally. . . I had a 57 when I was a kid, never got it completely done, but I did sneak it out of town to a friend's house a couple miles away once! Back then a guy in my class had a 56, he took me a ride in it once. I did get my 55 running earlier this year (no front end on it) and backed it out of the garage, but I was sitting on a wheel as the seats are out of it also. :happy0030:

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
I have had mine for 2 years and have never ridden in one before that. still haven't with mine all apart. Always wanted onw ans when I found it I started right in on restoring it.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Hey Aaron.

how you enjoying the rain / humid weather we have going on? :tu

-Nick

PS: I've never rode in a tri five either, but I will VERY soon ( i hope ) courtesy of "Finallyhavea57" :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
You are not alone. I've only ever sat in one before I bought mine. It was a 55 stretched limo that was at a car show. I was allowed to sit in the back (briefly). I've sat in mine, but before I had an engine for it. Never been in a moving one, so far.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Built my first one in 1972 at age 16! Didn't even have my license yet but I wanted to be ready. A 55 Chevy Belair 4 Dr Sedan. Put in a 327, muncie M-21, a 64 posi rear with 4:11's. Drove it from New Jersey to the Florida Everglades and Back with only a front wheel bearing failure in SC. Luckily I was prepared for it as the original ball bearings are terrible on these cars. Later I installed some hubs from a 62 chevy wagon that was in a junkyard complete with their timken roller bearings. Easy swap. I've driven thousands of miles in these cars and theirs nothing that compares to them especially the sound of a Muncie trans whinning at full throttle. Jim

·
Registered
483 Posts
The first three cars I owned were two 57's and a '56 (still own the '56). The other day I took my youngest out to a parking lot and let him drive the '57. It was his first time behind the wheel of any car. Just trying to get him started off on the right foot. :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Drove my first 57 in about 1960 my english teacher in H/S bought one 6 cyl with 3 on the tree. Nothing special but in shop class I added blocks to the peddles and moved the seat forward. She was about 4' tall in heels. She was so short the kids would say she could do chin-ups on the chaulk ledge.. Probably don't have chalk ledges anymore haha:)

·
Administrator
67,925 Posts
The thrill of seeing these cars out was enough for me to go buy one, they were as rare as hens teeth back here 30 years ago, now as common as chooks laying eggs :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts