Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Scout council got me good this year. The little devils.

When they asked me to run the new scouts Pinewood derby I figured maybe 50 kids would show up.:sign0020:

I had 134 by 1:00 today and the cut off was supposed to be last Monday. I hate refusing a scouts so I added them in a last minute bracket and had every set.

Well You know how the best laid plans go????????

Yeah RIGT OUT THE WINDOW.:sign0020:

I went to the gym to start setting up early and glad I did. Me and one other leader set up three tracks, registration table work station for those that weren't quite right on weight, and all the flags out to protect the tracks, and all the racing banners up from various suppliers,. We had it all done just in time for the first of the registrations, which was a mad rush right away.

It trickled off a bit and then a rush a few times. Only thing was 50 or so of them hadn't preregistered. than a big rush just before 6 which was the cut off for registration. so we had the kids that weren't racing do the Kids' choice voting to allow a few minutes for that to finish and load the brackets.

Once we got started it was still chaotic trying to run 8 brackets from one I pad (it was all we had) and 4 races all at the same time.

WE slowly but surely made it through, and had a few hiccups along the way for one reason or another. Those of us yelling out the racers for each race were loosing our voices part way through. We needed a PA system or at least new voice people. We got the latter.

The races progressed fairly quickly and that created more chaos as parents wanted to pick up their kids' cars while we were still trying to run the races, because their child didn't win. We tried to accommodate as much as we could.

Once we got to the final twelve, we had to create a new bracket for an electronic timered track. Even there we had a few glitches, luckily not as bad as ............. well I'M not gonna name it.

When the finals were all done. We moved on to the awards. A number of the kids that didn't win their brackets had left, but were eligible for the extra awards for coolest, fastest, colorful, patriotic, original, best of show, so we didn't hand them out at this time.

But the best part after it was all said and done was a young man that come to race, didn't win his bracket, had to go back to the spaghetti dinner to get some help for his mom who need a sugar fix for her diabetes, but came back up stairs to see who won the races. As it turns out when I checked the number of the Kids' choice winning car we noticed it wasn't in the rack. Bummer. We announce it to the crowd and low and behold this little fella jumped up and screamed that's my car.:congrats:

He came running up with his car with the correct number on it and verified his name.

So he ended up going home with the biggest trophy of the night. The trophy was nearly as big as he was.

What was his car you ask?

It was a black and white police cruiser with red light bar on top.

Oh and the final count on registered racers.

174 NEW SCOUTS raced tonight.

and each and everyone went home with a goody bag filled with stickers. posters, coasters, a hat if they were one of the first 50, tire shine and more.

So even if they didn't win. It didn't cost them anything, they had a free meal, got to race, and went home with something.

Over all I believe the kids had a grand experience.

And we adult volunteers learned that we need more than one I pad if we do this again next year.

I need some rest now. Cause I have to get up early and take my cub scout group camping in the morning.

I'll post some pics on Sunday after I get back.

Night all.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Good man Fuzz. You must be a patient individual with 174 NEW SCOUTS. I will bet they were all pumped up for the race too. Mike

·
Registered
67,764 Posts
sometimes the parents need to do more to help it run smooth, thanks for sharing. :tu

·
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Survived the weekend camping trip. Going from 174 scouts and their families down to 20 scouts was relaxing. We did the usual, hiking, cooking, outdoor plant, tree and animal ID, games, work detail to help the camp, campfire stories, and of course the camping staple SMORE'S. I'll bet everyone of them will be sleeping the rest of the day today.

No for a few photos of the Pinewood derby.

Just after set up and before the rush started.

At 4:00 pm here they come. The registration crew was worried for a bit until they got their system figured out. Then it went pretty smoothly. Two people checking in, One calling for pregregistered bag or not registered, and one person sorting which to give them.

Some of the early arrivals.

You'll notice there are 3 different types of tracks. Not all tracks are built the same , but each bracket only raced against each other on the same lanes, so It was fair.

The stash of trophies

Now they're really starting to come in.

I had my son trying to take photos as we went along, but even that was difficult as he was helping to sort cars for the races.

Here's what 170 plus racers lined up around the track would look like.

We were using to two outside tracks for the brackets which were 4 lanes each. Once we narrowed it down to the final 16 due to the computer bracket maker, we ran them all on the 3 lane electronic track and used their best average time from the 3 runs (1 on each lane) and those were our top overall winners.

You'll notice that many of the crowed had dwindled off, due to their child not getting into the finals. I expected as much. Wish they would have stayed to support the others that were still racing and see who won the whole event, but some people just don't have that sportsmanship in them any more.

Someone was smart enough to get a quick shot of the finalist cars before we did the awards.

CAN YOU TELL WHICH ONE WAS THE TOP WINNER JUST BY LOOKING?

Me either.

Talking to the owner of the timer track, he said the difference between the top two finishers was .002 seconds. That would have been very difficult to see by eye.

Here we have just a small sample of the grins on the faces of the wonderful new Scouts.

That's me in the background handing out the trophies. And the Jeg's hats from the goody bags were a big hit.

And here was our storied winner of the night. The young man who's mother is a diabetic and they needed to retreat down stairs to get her a sugar fix and keep her safe. The family had just come back up to check on the racing as we were handing out the awards. I had checked the master list to see if the Kids' choice car was in the rack so everyone there would know which one it was, but it wasn't there. We decided to let everyone know in case they knew who it was, and as we announced the name this young man screamed and jumped up and down like Tigger from Winney the Pooh. His dad wasn't far behind either.

As special photo op we set him on stage in front of the Summit racing banner.

Overall I believe we had a good night. We were able to run 170+ kids through races in about 2 hours.

It may not have run as smoothly as we had planned, but for something that was thrown together inside of 2 months and a 1st time running this many scouts with multiple tracks and unknown software. I don't think it really could have gone any differently. At least now we know where to improve for the next time we run this many Scouts.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Fuzzy, Kinda makes us proud of you and the work you are doing. This is stuff that these kids will remember for the rest of their lives.
Blessings,
Larry From Tulare, CA

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I remember helping my son some with his cars from scout derbys and the races. They enjoy the heck out of that. Nice job.

·
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that I was done with the race they asked me to write and article about the whole event to put in the Council newsletter.

I worked on that this afternoon and included the entire list of winners, and photos to go with it.

I enjoy working with the kids on their cars and running the races for them. It's a great feeling when you see the smiles on the kids' faces, and they come up to you and say "thanks for everything, I had a great time".

That's payment enough for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts