Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a lot of the users here have spent many years and countless hours hand crafting their dream cars. From posts I've seen most people just drive to car shows and back to the garage, keeping their vehicles low-mileage.
I bought my car for the sole purpose of driving and enjoying it. She looks good but not "show quality" and that's exactly what I wanted. Paint chips from loose rocks on the road are inevitable. I had a guy yell at me for having parked my car on the beach and began lecturing me on what the sand and salt water will do.
Where do you take your cars?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts
Love driving mine as much as I can.....However, with no A/C, I only can drive a limited amount in the Florida summers.

·
Administrator
49,484 Posts
I drive mine every chance i get, which in Texas is about as often as i want to. Just got a new inspection sticker last month and had logged nearly 3k miles since the last one a year ago.
Terry

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mine has been down for repairs for a while, but when it was on the road with rust holes through floor boards and rotted fender bottoms, I was putting about 120 miles a week to go to work twice a week (30 miles one way) and about 20 miles on the weekends. I'm so close to being back on the road it will be hard NOT to put miles on it! Drivers are awesome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As much as possible!

I'm fortunate enough to live in the greatest state in the nation (don't bother posting a counter statement) which allows me to drive my 57 210 4-door, 6 passenger, 283/2bbl/powerglide, power-nothing Townsman everyday! I live in Point Loma CA, and drive a few miles a day to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. If I have to transfer duty stations I'll probably be forced to invest in an A/C setup, but for now my family enjoys the weather!

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
I drive mine almost everyday of the week except in the 100 degree + weather, and even then I might take a 9pm drive. 300-500 miles a month

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Belle is a show car and finally the horse is paying off (see my prior post of winning $500!) and she's a driver that I put about 3,000 to 4,000 miles per year on...driving her every week (sometimes twice)...she's no trailer queen and no lead sled...I light her up at lights whenever no fuzz around (like that 60's word?) So she's not a beater that can never enter a show or win a show and she's not a prissy trailer queen...I love the duality about her...she's pretty yet functional...everything you want in a women!!! :)

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Ronnie Knoxville - no argument on San Diego having the best weather but six people fitting into your 57? My 57 hardtop is comfortable with 4 people and they cant be porkers in the back seat because contrary to what most lay people think - there isnt much room in the back seat...I tell people if they cant buckle the seat belts with them all the way out...they dont ride.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Since I got my antique plates last year I have logged over 3000 miles. I drive to Englishtown drag strip and back about 160 miles. Not worried at all about my chinese top street performance dizzy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I drive my 56 Belair a few times a week to enjoy the ride and keep all the mechanical working fine. With no A/C I don't go out much when the heat and humidity is high here in St. louis and she doesn't go out in the rain or snow she's no trailer queen but has won first, second and third place in stock/restored class at a some shows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just in San Diego, Weather is pretty nice there! Do you enter your daily drivers in contests? Nothing big, just small town contests less than 100 entries. I get too intimidated because some of those cars are trailer queens that come out only for contests.

Gettin all that weight sideways down the street is pretty fun when the FUZZ is away. haha glad you're bringing that back.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
drive "Miss Pearl" at least twice a week------take the grandkids to the ice cream shop, take my wife to "eat a bite" or just cruise to keep the old gal(the car!!!!!) loose:gba:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was just in San Diego, Weather is pretty nice there! Do you enter your daily drivers in contests? Nothing big, just small town contests less than 100 entries. I get too intimidated because some of those cars are trailer queens that come out only for contests.

Gettin all that weight sideways down the street is pretty fun when the FUZZ is away. haha glad you're bringing that back.
I stay away from entering the shows where the trailer queens are always at, nothing against those cars and their owners, their beautiful Tri5's, I just wouldn't fit. If I do enter it is to support a local charity like Backstoppers or the Shriners hospital etc. and have a fun day.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
As much as i can when the temps are under 100 here in Phoenix still chasing that gremlin! I use it for a ride to kids house 5 miles or to a car show 250 miles away. I also like to light them up after 35 years of being away from a Muscle car. Although the "Fuzz" didn't find it amusing a month ago, but he was understanding when I explained about the new Heavy Duty clutch i put in. Luckily my hands were still a little dirty as evidence!

:sign0020:

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I drive mine as much as I can in the Ohio weather. I drove it Friday to a Cruise-in, Saturday to a Car Show and Sunday afternoon to pick up pizza for supper! I built it to drive everyday ... like i did for the first 21 years I owned it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I live in Ontario, Canada and we do have to put our classics away for the Winter. So between May and October I try to drive mine 3 times a week. Usually to cruise-ins and shows.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've had my car since I was barely able to drive. I pounded the heck out of that car driving everyday and going up north for the weekend with my friends. Drove it to work, golfing often an hour each way, and multiple times per year 3 hours north to golf tournaments and my buddy's cottage. 300 mile weekends easy.

Car has been down for a while but now it's just back on the road, I'm getting a new set of tires and checking brakes, rear end, electricals but in the last week I've put at least 100 miles on it and intend to do many more as I finish up the rejuvenation. I might even get around to trying my hand at fixing paint chips - it looks good but it's always going to be a driver.

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
aside from the machine work on the engine I do everything myself trans, chassis,rearend, bodywork, paint, etc.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts