Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1955 BelAir 4-Door Wagon, 350/350
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently priming, wet sanding, priming, wet sanding, priming and wet sanding my 4-door BelAir wagon. I'll be sealing it with white sealer (already bought). I plan to paint it a 'yet to be determined' shade of solid red (no metallic). My question is, how much paint do I need to buy? I'll be doing the underside of the hood and all the door jambs, as well as the outer body. I know that red is one of, if not the most expensive color, so I'd like to get a better idea of how much to buy, so I don't have a lot left over, and don't run out too soon! Your thoughts?

Regards,
John

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Porchdog. Can you give me an idea of how much I might need to do a wagon? I know it depends on a lot of factors, like # of coats, etc, but I'm interested in anyone's opinion who has painted one of these 'longroofs' before. Thanks, John

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
2 gal min. i buy 2 gals on every job . mix it together well and pour into qrt cans . last qrt in a gal can is useless . i'd rather have 1/2 gal left than have to buy more and risk color match .

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I used about 2 gallons on my 55 belair wagon (one gal ivory, one gallon tuquoise) but I ended up ordering a quart of each extra since I color sanded it so much and re-did boo-boos.

Of coarse one factor is making sure you have enough items to paint to use up everything you mix. Nothing upsets me more than to have to throw out a quarter gun full of paint because it has hardener in it and will set up in the gun. I try to have extra trim pieces etc hanging around that need paint if I have some left over. The down side of that is running out of paint just before you finish a coat.

Also get yourself a nice step stool you can move around the car as you paint the roof. I am tall but its hard to reach the middle of the roof.

My big sin is draggin the hose through the paint . I run it over my shoulder and clip it to the back of my belt.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I'm currently priming, wet sanding, priming, wet sanding, priming and wet sanding my 4-door BelAir wagon. I'll be sealing it with white sealer (already bought). I plan to paint it a 'yet to be determined' shade of solid red (no metallic). My question is, how much paint do I need to buy? I'll be doing the underside of the hood and all the door jambs, as well as the outer body. I know that red is one of, if not the most expensive color, so I'd like to get a better idea of how much to buy, so I don't have a lot left over, and don't run out too soon! Your thoughts?

Regards,
John
You did`nt say single stage or base clear.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You did`nt say single stage or base clear.
Sorry, 57. I plan to use Base / Clear. My buddy is going to do most of the shooting, as he has quite a bit of experience. He wasn't sure how much paint we'd need, as he's never painted a station wagon before, and paint is so dang expensive!! Thanks for the replies so far. More opinions and advice are always welcome!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I shot single stage paint on my '56 wagon. Used 6 qts. of yellow on the body and 2 qts. of white for the top. Had plenty of paint on it so that I could color sand it.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
I would reccommend ditching the white sealer and getting a color tinted sealer to match your base . some of the basecoats these days are a little thin and transparent to a point and a color matched sealer will help even the color out.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Sorry, 57. I plan to use Base / Clear. My buddy is going to do most of the shooting, as he has quite a bit of experience. He wasn't sure how much paint we'd need, as he's never painted a station wagon before, and paint is so dang expensive!! Thanks for the replies so far. More opinions and advice are always welcome!

Regards,
John
Do you cars longevity a favor............lots of clear for cut and buffs and paint corrections down the road.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A rule of thumb my painter used is "a pint per panel," using the hood as an area from which to measure say for figuring a station wagon roof, then rounding up to the next pint.

For example, a '55s Convertible Shoreline Beige upper rear panels would be a total of 3 pints (1 pint for trunk lid, 2X ½ pints for upper rear fenders), then rounded up by a pint to 1 quart.

The Gypsy Red requirement would be: 2 doors (each panel being a pint), 2 front fenders (each being a panel needing a pint), 2X ½ pint for lower rear fenders (coming to 1 pint), and the hood being another 1 pint.

So the total needed for Gypsy Red is 6 pints (or a need to have at least 3 quarts), but since it's the primary color, round up to 4 quarts.

This shows that a paint job (including two-tone) would be at least 5 quarts as a minimum requirement.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
We used CC over BC in a two tone. India Ivory over torquise

1/2 to 3/4 gallon on the India ivory

3 gallons for the torquise

:anim_25:

·
Registered
516 Posts
A rule of thumb my painter used is "a pint per panel," using the hood as an area from which to measure say for figuring a station wagon roof, then rounding up to the next pint.

For example, a '55s Convertible Shoreline Beige upper rear panels would be a total of 3 pints (1 pint for trunk lid, 2X ½ pints for upper rear fenders), then rounded up by a pint to 1 quart.

The Gypsy Red requirement would be: 2 doors (each panel being a pint), 2 front fenders (each being a panel needing a pint), 2X ½ pint for lower rear fenders (coming to 1 pint), and the hood being another 1 pint.

So the total needed for Gypsy Red is 6 pints (or a need to have at least 3 quarts), but since it's the primary color, round up to 4 quarts.

This shows that a paint job (including two-tone) would be at least 5 quarts as a minimum requirement.
Flaw to that logic is the hood is twice the size of the door. Don't forget fender extensions, splash apron, etc. Also some colors are tranparent and wont cover in 2-3 coats. I have have some take 6 coats to get coverage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts