Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took this 2 door post and had it acid dipped and found more rust. I’ve been removing spot welds and chopping with the plasma cutter when I get time. Today I removed the inner quarter that was pretty rotten and found more goodies! With the inner quarter removed I was able to inspect the outer quarter panel. I could see some rust/dirt buildup on the inside of the outer quarter panel where the rubber seal from the inner quarter used to touch the outer quarter. (I hope you are following this!). I grabbed a wire wheel and started to buff off that buildup and started to see pin holes appear. I know when doing metal work rule of thumb is to leave as much good metal as possible. My question is does anybody know what to do with this? Do I cut the entire quarter out and replace it? Do I weld up the pin holes and buff as much of that buildup off of there as I can and then coat it? Use POR-15 or some kind of primer? I sure would hate to cut out that entire quarter panel if I don’t need to. If you look close you can see the 6 or 7 pin holes and the pitting from the rust where the wheel well seal was. Your thought are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bigger holes are for the side trim. You might have to zoom in very close to see the pin holes

·
Registered
695 Posts
it'll come back to haunt you or somebody else

·
Registered
179 Posts
By the looks of your photos you are going to have a bunch of additional pin holes in a short time...replace the quarters or splice a quarter section at the trim line...best way to do it and it will be trouble free if done right.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Take a sharp pointed tool and pick around on the panel with it. If the metal is solid it won't leave much of a mark. If the metal is weak from pits it will make an indent or go right through. This will give your a better idea of the overall condition of the quarter panel. If it is just that one spot with pin holes try welding a few of them up. If you just blow bigger holes when welding on them then the metal should be replaced. (at least in that area) If you can weld them shut pretty easily then you might be ok to just weld them up. Give it a try, nothing to lose giving it a shot.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Now is the time to do your metal work, don't short cut it. Money spent now will pay you back down the road.

Later,
Kev

·
Registered
141 Posts
Those pinholes mean the metal is awful thin there. I'd hate to see you put the time and money in to finishing it and start finding more pinholes or having trouble with the paper thin sections. These cars are worth enough to justify the time and effort in cutting out the bad metal and replacing it with new IMO. But, I'm incredibly fussy and cutting out anything that even has pitting on my way more common and way less valuable CJ7 project. I want to do the metalwork once, do it right, and with any luck this is the last time it will ever need to be done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you do decide to weld up the holes, place a piece of copper on the opposite side of the side you're welding from, it will help you from blowing holes and pushing the weld out the back side. Plus the back side will stay flatter for when you grind and planish the weld. I'd clean the living crap out of it, weld up those holes, and keep moving on.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Opinions will vary, of course, but....were it me? I’d replace the metal where the pin holes are- new quarters if necessary. Youve gone thru the trouble of acid dipping and pulling out the inner quarters, it seems a waste to start doing half measures and trying to repair sheet metal that is getting so thin.

It’d really be upsetting if the repair failed after you got it in paint. Good luck with whatever route you choose!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts