Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very sorry if this has been beat to death! But i am wondering how difficult it is to convert to a HEI type distributor? I have a 57 Belair Wagon 4dr. Thanks guys! :wavey:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
:sign0016: to Trifive.com strokin93z. To be honest I can do it without a problem. But I am not to good at explaining the procedure and I don't want to confuse you. But our trusty member Acardon will chime in soon and help you out. Come on Don.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This car is going to be a cruiser, and i was hoping the hei would help with overall driveability. But if i should should stay points that shouldnt be a huge deal either! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I bought a Pertronics conversion kit for my old dist... Later, Dave

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
The large coil-in-cap HEI distributors will usually not fit in a 57. There is usually not enough firewall clearance. The Pertronix II points replacement modules or any of the external coil electronic distributors will work fine and give much more relialibility. With most of the elctronic distributors, you can get rid of the ballest resistor and run the coil on full 12 volts.
I recommend upgradeing the wiring to the coil when an electronic distributor is used. To do this,replace the original tan wire from the resistor to the ignition switch with a larger (at least 14 gauge) wire directly from the ignition switch to the + coil. Remove the dark green wire from the resistor to the + coil. Leave the dark green wire from the starter to the + coil. If you have a electric wiper motor connected to the resistor, connect it to the + coil also or wire the wiper motor to a unused fuse on the fuse block.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, well i will start looking into parts for the swap and see what i can do, Thanks guys!

·
Registered
172 Posts
large HEI

The large HEI distributor will work, I have one on mine. Just install the distributor without the cap on it, then once you get it set in the hole, then install the cap.

It's not as easy to put in as the small distributor, but it will work fine.

·
Registered
66,285 Posts
just have plain old distributor in all my old rides. they all run great. could put the cost of hei into something else. just another thought. :stupido2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
for the 57's that have clearance issues, what is the most common solution? beating the firewall? welding in a notch panel?

any help would be great!

·
26,422 Posts
for the 57's that have clearance issues, what is the most common solution? beating the firewall? welding in a notch panel?
Please don't beat on the firewall, I hate to see that on a otherwise nice looking engine compartment. Get a aftermarket external coil HEI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pertronics ignitor anf Flamethrower coil

I installed one of these into our 55 Nomad with a 350 engine. Car starts up and idles like never before. The ignitor is wired to the 12 volt side of the ballast and the negative side to the coil.

As I said, it idles fantastic at 4BTDC. HOwever, when I drive down the street and get on the peddle, it backfires and loses power. should i throw the points back in it?

Any ideas?

Steve

·
26,422 Posts
I installed one of these into our 55 Nomad with a 350 engine. Car starts up and idles like never before. The ignitor is wired to the 12 volt side of the ballast and the negative side to the coil.

As I said, it idles fantastic at 4BTDC. HOwever, when I drive down the street and get on the peddle, it backfires and loses power. should i throw the points back in it?

Any ideas?

Steve
The ignitor is not the problem. Advance the timing (maybe to 10 degrees), make sure the vacuum advance is working, and check the accelerator pump in the carb by seeing if you get a squirt of gas in the carb when you open the throttle with the engine not running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts