Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a smaller motorcycle and want to install the horns from a Buick Park Avenue. The ones from the 90's that kind of sounded like a train horn.
If I go to the junkyard and find these horns, what else from the car will I need to install? Relays, fuses, etc?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Brandon

Although I'm not an electrical wiz kid I do have a Harley. If I were going to do this I would take the horn relay and use a circuit breaker (not a fuse) ala the type Harley used on their bikes in the '70-up. I don't think your simple horn button alone will take the current load the horns will draw. I have a new battery in my HD and sometimes at idle I only get a mutted horn, although it's fine at higher rpms.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea... I hadn't thought of that aspect. My horn button doesn't work now (or it could be the horn or the wires). Since my bike is cheap transportation rather than any kind of show bike, I might just be able to add a switch somewhere on the handlebar.

I assume you just mean the horn relay under the hood of the car. I think that would probably be located in the big fuse box under the hood?

What type of circuit breaker would I get. I know very little about electrical wiring. Is that something I could pick up at a typical auto parts store?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's a 12v horn... just plug er in... where the stock M/C horn was..

the bike has a horn relay already...

I use an old time " AHHOOGAAHH" horn on my kawasaki ...

I just clipped the stock horn wire connectors... and crimped on 2 connectors that matched the new horn...
:tu

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
Need to check to see how many amps the horns draw and how many your relay can handle....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would I check to see how many amps the horn draws? Is that something I can physically check or is that something that would have to be looked up in a book somewhere?

Brandon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts