Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents: Working on uploading a 68 Camaro rearend into my 55 Chevy. Know I have to cut off the old spring perchs on the 68 rearend, and I know where to get new spring perches due to help from this site. What I don't know is how to go about getting the right angle when I weld the new perches in place on the 68 rearend. :confused0006: Anyone got some guidance for me? Much appreciated. :) Brian :bowtieb:

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Brian, I would clean the old perches off, set the new ones on the springs, set the housing on the perches, install the U-bolts. Set the car on stands under the springs near the axle with the front end of the car on stands as well and about level (please be sure they are in a secure spot). Then check the angle on the rear of the transmission and set the rear end so the angle is the same as the transmission only opposite. By oppsite I mean if the transmission is tilted down 4º, tilt the rear end so it points up 4º. Then tack weld the perches to the housing and take it back out from under the car and weld the perches well. Unless of course your a good welder and then you could weld them in place. Some folks weld better out where you can move around it easier.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Disagree

I DON'T THINK YOU EVER WANT TO START WITH THE PINON ANGLE POINTED UP. IT WILL ALWAYS TURN UP WHEN YOU STAND ON IT HARD. IF YOUR TRANNY IS POINTED DOWN YOU NEED TO SHIM IT UP FOR PROPER INSTALLATION SO THE PINION ANGLE CAN BE DOWN TO START WITH. IT MAKES IT A WHOLE LOT EASIER IF YOU HAVE AN EXTRA TRANNY YOKE THAT IS NOT ASSEMBLED.CLEAN OFF FLANGE ON THE YOKE WITH A WIRE BRUSH UNTIL IT IS CLEAN AND FLAT .THE PUT THE YOKE IN THE TRANNY STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN. THEN PUT YOUR PROTRACTOR ON THE FLANGE YOU JUST CLEANED AND READ THE ANGLE AND RIGHT IT DOWN SO YOU DONT FORGET WHAT IT WAS. THEN TURN THE REAREND YOKE VERTICAL CLEAN IT OFF AND MEASURE THE ANGLE,

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, this is getting me headed in the right direction. :tu I will be using the car for daily driving and only may occasionally step on it. The link was VERY helpful. :D Brian :bowtieb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
As stated, the pinion should angle up so as to run parallel to the transmission output. In other words, if the trans output is down 3 degrees, the pinion should be up 3 degrees. This works in 90 percent of the cases.

To install the perches this is how I do it. Set the car on jackstands at the proper ride rake you want when you are done. Install the main leaf as normal. Install the centering bolt and set the new perches on the spring. Set the rear axle on the perches and center it L/R. Clamp the assembly together and jack up the rear end until it is at the ride height you want (in relation to the body). Set another pair of jackstands under the spring to hold the axle at that location. (this is a perfect time to see if the axle is centered in the wheel well. If not, you can redrill the spring perches to adjust) Measure the down angle of the output of the transmission, and then spin the rear axle to the same angle except in the up direction. Recheck that the axle is still centered, and tack the perches in place.

Take out the rear axle and finish weld. Weld only about an inch or two at a time and alternate sides so as to not overheat the axle tube which can warp it.

Resassemble the spring and then install the rear axle. If the ride height is not right, there are ways to correct that also.

Andy

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FARMBOY: It is a 10 Bolt rearend.
AOSBORN: The details are coming together for me now. Thanks much for your detailed input:tu Brian:bowtieb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts