Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice from some of you who have probably dealt with much more extensive damage than this 57 Chevy 4dr HT, unable to properly adjust the rear doors, decided to start at rear and work forward, upon inspection it is because the floor brace at the rear of the door is gone at the rockers, (jacking the body around at this point I can get a pretty good fit) did a thorough inspection under car and it has issues, the floor pan is good, but the right inner wheel house is rusted, the floor that goes across the back of the car is rusted and missing at both inner rockers, the middle braces at the B pillar are good and no damage , the tail pan should be replaced, both inner rockers at the rear brace are gone as is the right front brace at the rocker, (probably best to replace the whole right inner) the outer rockers are both in pretty good shape, I can get this body on a rotisserie but looking for suggestions, weld in new inner rockers first then the floor braces then go after the right rear inner well, I would probably not remove any doors or trunk lid until the welding and bracing is complete is there any site I can get the original measurements and suggestions for most reliable metal stamping, preferably USA steel.

·
Registered
65,816 Posts
got any pics? would help to give answers. :anim_25:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure be tomorrow anything specific or just general, unless I hear different I will start with the back door area that started this whole escapade, I guess I am thinking the brace is welded to the inner rocker and replacing the brace is not going to be useful if the inner rocker has no metal to weld to so maybe the inner rocker needs to be replaced first.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right rear door floor pan at wheel well.jpg

right front brace at floor pan and rocker.jpg

right center brace at inner rocker.jpg

left center brace at inner rocker.jpg

hope pictures help, the inner rocker only appears to be rotted at the areas where the brace has rusted t

·
Administrator
63,451 Posts
The inner rocker looks like its in need of replacing, I would also make sure that the frame/body supports are also in good shape.
The outer rocker may also require attention, these are good places to store dirt/moisture that leads to rust issues.

·
Premium Member
13,232 Posts
start with the floor braces and then move into the rocker then the wheel house. jack into submission any are to good alignment before welding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts