Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there's a forum for power steering but I have standard (manual) steering so I guess this is the forum for my question...

Manual steering and standard transmission... How do you remove the steering column?

I have the steering wheel off, and I have separated the shift forks at the bottom of the column (took out the three bolts on the lower collar and dropped the forks down out of the column tube...)

Looks like the column wants to slide up the shaft, but seems to be retained by the shifter tube that goes over the steering shaft.

Anyone done this before? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It's been a while since I had one apart. you may have already done this as part of taking the steering wheel off, but I think the whole guts around the signal light switch has to come out too. There is a plate in there that locks the shift tube and column together. If you have done that...beats me. Someone with a better memory will chime in soon. I'll see if I can find it in the assembly manual too.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
The column is retained at the top by a clamp under the dash. http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/9-5.gif The lower part of the instrument cluster has to come off. The shift tube and outer column will slide up the shaft together. There is another clamp on the engine side of the firewall. S-S in this drawing....http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/7-5.gif
Forgot, gotta unplug the turns signal and horn connector.
You don't have to take the turn signal switch off. It will come out as a unit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upper and lower column clamps are off, wires coming out of the column under the dash disconnected....

I try to slide the column up the shaft and it moves a couple inches but feels like there's a spring stop -- seems to be associated internally with the shift lever --

Are you saying I can leave the horn and directional guts. directional lever, and shift lever on, and it should slide up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo !

Well, says I to myself, if acardon is right I will give it another try...

I had the lower bushing (3 bolts), shift forks and lower clamp off, slid down toward the box, and I had the upper clamp, wires, and steering wheel off, and he says the column, with directional and shift lever and all should slide right up....

I had tried pulling the column up, and it got just so far and stopped...
Well maybe I been to gentle with it.
So I gave it a GOOD HARD YANK.... and wowzie, it slid right off the steering shaft!

Yup, it was hanging on something (after fifty years and more! -- maybe backup switch or a lump of grease) but slid off -- just like acardon said it would.

56mark, you are likely correct about the connecting plate, but as acardon said, the shift tube and steering column came out together.

Thanks for the responses, fellas.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,366 Posts
Glad you were able to get it out User.....Actually, the shift arms and lower bushing can remain with the column....They will slide through the lower clamp and firewall, when in the correct position.

However, you Got 'ER Done :):congrats:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, the shift arms and lower bushing can remain with the column....They will slide through the lower clamp and firewall, when in the correct position.

Oh, that explains the shape of the lower clamp and of the hole in the firewall....
I will remember that, thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Me too

I am also stuck on removing the steering column clamp . It wont slide through the firewall , and the shifter lever keeps it from sliding off the gearbox end ? Any idea to get this off appreciated

·
Registered
148 Posts
leaders picture

Ok , looking close i see the lever has been removed in Leader of the Packs's photo , how does it come off , that will sove my problem , i hope

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
Ok , looking close i see the lever has been removed in Leader of the Packs's photo , how does it come off , that will sove my problem , i hope
As he mentioned, the shift levers can remain on the column. The clamp will go down over the shift levers through the opening in the clamp. The cut outs in the clamp where it coes around the column are to go past the bolts that hold the bottm bearing. The clamp may have to be spread a little if it was squished together too much. Then rotate the column so the levers will go through the oblong hole in the firewall. The column comes out as a unit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Working again

Ok , Im working on the steering column again . Question again . The sreering column where the stift housing goes is sloted like it twist & locks in , if it does im missing a part . All i acomplished so far is the break one of the wires of the turn switch . Any help & info appreciated again

Bobby

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Steering column again

Thanks Terry , I can see where the locking plate locks into the "camlocks" i'll have to call them that for lack of a better description on the tube, But it is'nt locking .
The diagram shows a washer on there , in fact two , one labeled a thrush , one has no description , just labeled washer in the diagram . I think that unlabeled washer is keeping the shifter housing from going in enough to lock . Anyone know the number of the unlabeled washer . Eckler has the thrus
h , but not the other , I feel they really need to be the right size in this , any ideas & input appreciated . I decided to use the 57 column , so it does have the thrush, i think the 55 does not . Just from trial & error i learned all i had to do was change the turn switch . Am i on the right track now ?

Bobby, 55 Belair HT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts