Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 with a ls1 and stock manual steering that I need to get removed I am trying to not take the motor out or half apart to get gear box and steering column out. I have a borgeson 600 box and the new column that is modified for power steering. I am aware the column does not separate for the gear box. So please tell me the easiest way to get all this removed.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Easiest way if you don't want to keep or sell the stock unit is a Sawzall or torch...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ive always been able to get them out without cutting them it takes some fanangling but you can do it. You need to remove the outer column and everything around it. If your going to cut it check the fliers in the box from your new Steering box, Borgeson will pay decent money for the core, but you have to cut it in the right place for shipping.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I will do some checking before I go cutting it all up. I looked at it briefly and really looks like I am going to have to remove the exhaust manifold on that side. I really hope it just looks harder than it really is to get all this out and get the new all back in. I should be able to get started on it tonight.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
When I did mine, it was easier for me to remove the fender with the inner attached. That way I had all the room I needed to get the old one out and the new one in. I will say this, it was not as easy as everyone has stated, I had a lot of issues with my headers and removing the pitman arm. But then again I'm not a mechanic and don't know all the tricks. Good luck, it is a great upgrade, wished I had did it sooner,

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
How much clearance from the header to the stock steering box do you currently have? I know the CPP500 box is quite larger and there are some with header issues. Can't speak for the box you want to use, but it would be a concern of mine.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,729 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks for all the help I did drop the exhaust down and removed manifold. I got the complete gear box out with the shaft attached. I got the 600 box bolted back to the frame last night I am going to work on it again tonight and if everything goes well I should be able to get everything back together tonight.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
there is an add in the classified somebody looking for a stock steering..............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts