Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of the week I'm off to inspect a nice 55 210 post for sale (two hours away). From the pics on the net it looks like a really clean car. The paint job is solid black so flaws should be easily spotted. Are there any rules of thumb so to speak when looking at a tri-five that may help me void buying a rolling bondo project? I'm terribly afraid of buying a $30,000 1955 post and finding out later it's really junk under some nice paint. Thanks......

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Look in the usual places. Behind the headlamp areas, inner rockers, floor braces, floor pans (look for patches you can see from underneath)trunk sidewalls, bottom of the doors inside, take note of the body line along the bottom of the sides (be sure it is consistant in depth. It has a valley so to speak and if it's been filled it will vary in depth).
Other than that just tap on the lower quarters in front of the rear wheels and see if it sounds like your tapping on metal or a thud like tapping on a brick.
Look at door and trunk gaps for being even all the way around. Look to see if any of the edges of the doors is thicker than others. Sometimes during the repair process (patch) the outer skin will be built up to make it straight and the edge winds up thick.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I am not a bodyman but I know another little trick, feel the thickness of the quater panel metal above the rear tires put a couple fingers under the the insde of the panel and a couple out side the panel to see if theirs bondo in their, a lot of people seem to leave a buildup of bondo to cover rust and repairs, just above the rear wheel well, you know that little lip around the fenderwell above the rear tire.:)

Otis

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Jw
You know at 30 grand he should be able to supply an area for you to look under the car with comfort like on a lift were your inspection is thorough.
Look in the trunk for repair of quarter panels and fender wells and as Mike and Otis said the most common places. Get good look down the sides of the car If it is a fresh paint job sometimes the paint has not shrunk enough to give a tell tale sign although if it is that fresh of a paint why is it for sale??
Black cars do tell a tale but more than offten it says how seasoned the bodyman was who prepped that job. Also ask for photo's of before and after to see what went on. And most of all follow your gut if it dont feel right dont do it .......:cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! All good info and gives me some specific areas to concetrate on. I'm just trying to not let my initial desire for this car lead me to hasty decision that I will regret later. Thanks again, Jerry

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
Jerry it is most important to do as Steve said, follow your gut feeling. If it don`t feel exactly right walk, and give it some cool down time. Also look in the trunk area, below the trunk lid and in the floor area. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

1 - 7 of 7 Posts