Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently restoring a 1956 Chevy 3100 pickup. It has a 235 6 cyl engine, with generator and foot starter and 4 on the floor tranny.

I have sand blasted and primed all body and chassis, now to re-install body parts. But before I proceed, I want to start the engine,just to ensure it will start, not started for 2 years. All wiring has been removed, ready for the new wiring harness.

I have a temporary fuel tank setup connected to the fuel pump. I have changed the oil and filter.The new fan belt installed.I have removed the spark plugs and turned the crank, no problems. Radiator has been reinstalled and filled with water, not antifreeze. The battery is fully charged.

The positive wire from the coil is connected to the distributor. Do I connect a wire to the other side of the coil??(neg).

The generator, I presume is not required in this test startup?(no wiring).

The positive battery cable is connected to the top of the foot starter solenoid, do I need to connect a wire to the connector on the side of the solenoid?

What wire connection do I use to start the angine and stop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I am currently restoring a 1956 Chevy 3100 pickup. It has a 235 6 cyl engine, with generator and foot starter and 4 on the floor tranny.

I have sand blasted and primed all body and chassis, now to re-install body parts. But before I proceed, I want to start the engine,just to ensure it will start, not started for 2 years. All wiring has been removed, ready for the new wiring harness.

I have a temporary fuel tank setup connected to the fuel pump. I have changed the oil and filter.The new fan belt installed.I have removed the spark plugs and turned the crank, no problems. Radiator has been reinstalled and filled with water, not antifreeze. The battery is fully charged.

The positive wire from the coil is connected to the distributor. Do I connect a wire to the other side of the coil??(neg).
+ve wire goes to switched power or hot wire direct to battery when ready to run via the ballast resistor if it was used on orig configuration.
Battery -ve wire goes to distributor points feed.
The generator, I presume is not required in this test startup?(no wiring).
Correct not required to be connected.

The positive battery cable is connected to the top of the foot starter solenoid, do I need to connect a wire to the connector on the side of the solenoid?
Only if you wish to engage the starter with the foot pedal :) other wise you could hot wire and use a screwdriver to engage starter.
What wire connection do I use to start the engine and stop?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks
If you go the hot wire way just Pull the coil wire from the battery to stop.
Hope some of this is of some help Regs

·
Registered
635 Posts
What Mouse said. Also, if you're using a remote battery, make sure the battery - is connected to the engine or frame and if frame, make sure a ground goes from the frame to the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts