Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

For those of you getting into a 55 Chevy restoration, TIG Time has 2 videos on how to weld in new eyebrows. Check em out and tell me what you think.

TIG Time Episode 22 - How to TIG Weld a 55 Chevy Restoration (Preparing & Tacking the Eyebrow)
http://weld.com/index.php/mr-tig/83-tig-time-episode-22-how-to-tig-weld-a-55-chevy-restoration

TIG Time: How to TIG Weld a 55 Chevy Restoration (Welding the Eyebrow)
http://weld.com/index.php/mr-tig/91-tig-time-how-to-tig-weld-a-55-chevy-restoration-welding-the-eyebrow

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Welcome aboard.

While I am at it, I think directing us to those issues is great but it might be of more benefit to direct the masses to methods of proper prep and machine setup b4 getting waist deep in a headlight area repair - JFFT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard.

While I am at it, I think directing us to those issues is great but it might be of more benefit to direct the masses to methods of proper prep and machine setup b4 getting waist deep in a headlight area repair - JFFT
Thanks for the feedback. The show's main following is fairly experienced "weekend warrior welders". I thought since it was a 55 Chevy restoration the guys in this forum might be able to benefit. I will relay your message and see if we can get some more prep video to precede the tacked eyebrow.

If there is any other welding that you guys run into on 55, 56 or 57 Chevys let us know and we will try and shoot a series of how to videos.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The show's main following is fairly experienced "weekend warrior welders". I thought since it was a 55 Chevy restoration the guys in this forum might be able to benefit. I will relay your message and see if we can get some more prep video to precede the tacked eyebrow.

If there is any other welding that you guys run into on 55, 56 or 57 Chevys let us know and we will try and shoot a series of how to videos.
I am certain that there is a great benefit from this vid. We get a lot of questions form the 25,000+ membership regarding what welder, should I MIG or TIG and so on. I think that any effort from your group is very helpful but so many here either do or will need the basics - then graduate to more difficult tasks as shown in this great vid of yours.

JFFT

·
Registered
68,429 Posts
:sign0016: thanks for the info. :tu

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to see you guys enjoyed the videos. For those of you who are not at the level to jump into this welding project, we have some other "starter episodes" at http://www.weld.com/index.php/mr-tig

Everything from choosing a welding helmet to selecting inverter or transformer.

I also talked to the team and we are going to try and shoot a short video specific to the 55 Chevy episodes on "how to set your machine".

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Humm let's see. I'd like to one on a quarter patch, a trunk pan,and a cowl replacement. Oh, did I mention I can supply the vehicle and patch panels?

Great vids, thanks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Humm let's see. I'd like to one on a quarter patch, a trunk pan,and a cowl replacement. Oh, did I mention I can supply the vehicle and patch panels?

Great vids, thanks...
Where are you located? We are always looking for new projects to film. E-mail me at [email protected] and we will see if we can arrange a video shoot.

Also, be sure to check out our newest 55 Chevy welding project:

http://www.weld.com/index.php/welding-new-exhaust-on-a-classic-55-chevrolet-bel-air.html

·
Registered
271 Posts
Great potential on this thread!!! Welding, be it TIG or MIG is one of the most overlooked areas of any build!!! Over the years I've done a ton of fixes on cars that someone else had done the welding on and seen every wrong way of welding that there is!!!!! Metal over metal, welding dirty and rusted metal, you name it!

A thread like this could be very helpful in showing how to do things correctly the first time rather then wishing it would have been done right when the project is complete!!!!

For those new to welding, practice, practice, practice!!!! If you want to learn these techniques it's going to take time. I'd suggest using an old throwaway fender or door to learn welding techniques on before you try it on your pride and joy!!!!

Also, great to see someone else taking the time to repair and modify parts rather then just dialing up the phone and wasting money on a bunch of bolt on's that may or may not be as good as what you have!!!!! Some of the re-pop pieces can only be described as ill fitting junk!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts