Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted y'all to know that the cam we installed in Mickey's 55 engine failed. Howard's
warrantee is basically to refund the cost of the failed part and nothing more! Comp Cams,
where we got it from is going to provide us with new gaskets. Big Woop

Mickeys convertible will be picked up from him in Texas in the next week or so and be transported
back to us. WE will rebuild his motor again using a Lunati roller cam and lifters.

As to the expenses of this, The Stainless Shoppe will be paying for all the costs. apx 5K yet to
be determined.

Major bummer! But I told Mickey I would be doing the right thing by him, even though Howard's failed cam
is the cause.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Sometimes brand new engines blow up. It would be great to know why but it is not always evident. Even brand new engines from the factory go bad.

Tough hit to take Mikey, but in the long run you don't have to do this very often. I hope you get to keep it and put a few hundred miles on it before sending it back to Texas. See if any other gremlins are hiding in there.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Im Very Very Sorry to hear that Mikey............I doubt seriously it was the cam.......the lifters today are junk....ONLY lifters I use are ELGINS !!!!! Even my machine shop here has had the same failures....NOW they only get their ELGIN lifters from me for builds....I've sold 20+ sets and never had a failure yet.....just a month ago I installed a new 300hp 327 Elgin Cam in a 305...400mi later no problems
Road surface Asphalt Floor Flooring Font

Liquid Food Automotive tire Fluid Bottle

Liquid Bottle Solution Fluid Drink

Hood Automotive tire Sleeve Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I would say it was installed and /or not broken in properly
To Slim, and anyone else who thinks that the engine was assembled wrong or not broken in properly. I was there at Mikey's shop and assisted with both the cam installation and engine startup and cam break in. Mikey and Donovan, who built the engine, used the best parts available, and took extraordinary care during engine assembly. The engine's cam and lifters were also correctly broken in, and correct lubrication "break in" products were used.

As Mikey said, this is a case of a defective cam and or lifters. In these times, I would never again use a flat tappet cam! Even with the best parts, it is a crap shoot on if the cam and lifters will be good or bad.

Steve

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear. That is a big bill to swallow. Sounds like you have everything well under control though.

I'm assuming the cam shaft was a stock or near stock grind? I'd heard of aggressive cam failures but seems flat tappets are just plain risky. In other posts I often talk the up the advantages (or value) of solid flat tappet and wont beat that horse here. You've really got me thinking regarding a fresh engine I have on the stand - big solid flat tappet Summit branded (cam is elgin) cam and lifters (manufacturer unknown but presumably low end) - nervous to fire it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Unfortunately, some times Sh*t happens...anytime anything is manufactured there is always a chance a failure...in a perfect world that wouldn't happen but........??? Sorry to hear of the failure though, no one needs that :(

·
Registered
543 Posts
From what I've read here, this engine was assembled by competent people with proper break-in procedures. Another victim of Chinesium parts. A tough pill to swallow cost wise, hydraulic or solid roller cams pretty well eliminate this issue. There's that old saying, You can pay me now or pay me later. On a happier note, a can of STP Oil Treatment has as much (possibly more ZDDP additive) than the others (Lucas?). at half the price. I add a can each oil change in my BBC even though I run a hyd. roller. Piece of mind thing lol.

Larry.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear. That is a big bill to swallow. Sounds like you have everything well under control though.

I'm assuming the cam shaft was a stock or near stock grind? I'd heard of aggressive cam failures but seems flat tappets are just plain risky. In other posts I often talk the up the advantages (or value) of solid flat tappet and wont beat that horse here. You've really got me thinking regarding a fresh engine I have on the stand - big solid flat tappet Summit branded (cam is elgin) cam and lifters (manufacturer unknown but presumably low end) - nervous to fire it.
I'm in the same boat----10 yrs ago I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, now mine is sitting in the var now for over 3 months and haven't fired it yet. Melling stock cam and elgin lifters

·
Registered
55 Bel Air 2-Door Sedan, 68 Torino GT Fastback
70 Posts
Just to give a little more insight, as well as my own thoughts; The cam was purchased through Competition Products, which isn’t far from us, and whom I’ve done a lot of business with. Being they’re not the manufacturer, I appreciate anything above and beyond that they’ll offer to help soften the blow. Also, I don’t blame Howard’s Cams necessarily either. I’ve done a lot of business with them as well, and have had a lot of good luck with many of their parts in addition to valvetrain. As many of you know, a lot of the cores and raw materials come from the same places and manufacturing plants anyway. There’s a solid chance that a Lunati cam core comes out of the same Michigan plant. Although there is a lot to be said for the insurance of a roller cam, there are a lot of flat tappets out there that have lived long lives under harsher conditions than this engine will ever see. But regardless of manufacturer, things happen when you build engines. I also acknowledge that the situation in the world today doesn’t help the situation either. And for anyone wondering, the break-in procedure was done exactly as Howard’s recommended while using their in-house additive. The oil itself was also a good quality oil with over 1200 PPM of zinc. Sorry for the long post everyone.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts