·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand.
8,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
590 Posts
Was it actually a Ute? I didn't realize they were still made in 55....looks nice. :tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive
No, it says in the article that it started as a 4 door sedan:

"Exactly who started the bodywork we’re not too sure, although from what we can tell it was first transformed from a 4-door sedan to a 2-door ute some time in the early ’80s or late ’70s. "

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
OK I am confused,

Whenever someone posts pictures of a wagon cut down into an el camino, most seem to hate it, yet here we have a ute that most think is nice.

Whats the difference between a Ute and a El Camino?

Seems like the same flavor to me.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
That's cool.:tu:tu:tu

Here's a real Ute and a '58 Del Ray showing
those tail lights in their horizontal form.
Kind of a funny coincidence that these two
pics are one after the other in my photos!
I took these photos at a classic car wrecking
yard on Salt Spring Island.Can't remember the
year of the Ute?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
OK I am confused,

Whenever someone posts pictures of a wagon cut down into an el camino, most seem to hate it, yet here we have a ute that most think is nice.

Whats the difference between a Ute and a El Camino?

Seems like the same flavor to me.
I reckon its all a matter of personal preference, Gary. If the conversion is done well and is pretty close to what the factory might have done, I generally like them.

I believe 1954 was the last year 'down under' for the factory built utes? Most I have seen had proportions similar to the '46 - '48 example posted by '56 Sedan Delivery......

Short front door as with a 4 door sedan to allow for more open bed area in back, short coupe style roof with abbreviated rear quarter windows allowing a bit of extra room in cab.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

7,080 Posts
I enjoy seeing something different. Also do not understand why a shortie or customs are generally hated and utes are ok (what is a UTE). The work on this car looks really good. Lost the pic but there was a 57 black shortie posted long time ago that I would love to own if it was done on a 55. Beautifully done. Purists might think my 55, not close to stock is ugly, but that's ok. :):flag6: Friends old Ford Truck on a Suburban chassis and motor, and used, I think was awesome on the Power Tour. Eye of the Beholder.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
I enjoy seeing something different. Also do not understand why a shortie or customs are generally hated and utes are ok (what is a UTE). The work on this car looks really good. Lost the pic but there was a 57 black shortie posted long time ago that I would love to own if it was done on a 55. Beautifully done. Purists might think my 55, not close to stock is ugly, but that's ok. :):flag6: Friends old Ford Truck on a Suburban chassis and motor, and used, I think was awesome on the Power Tour. Eye of the Beholder.
Lloyd,
UTE is an abbreviation for utility vehicle

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
No, it says in the article that it started as a 4 door sedan:

"Exactly who started the bodywork we’re not too sure, although from what we can tell it was first transformed from a 4-door sedan to a 2-door ute some time in the early ’80s or late ’70s. "
Sorry....missed that :) getting old I guess..:sign0020:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand.
8,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like someone stuck a lot of time and money into it.:)
It's currently for sale on Trade Me ( our local eBay ) for NZ$75k. When I sold my '56 15 months ago at the Beach Hop, he had it for sale for NZ$98k, but I think he will struggle to get even near his current asking price.

should of stuck with the 55 tail lights. it looks cool. jeff
I agree, the tail lights look really odd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.