Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1957 2D Post
This car came to me in 2013 after years of researching and watching auctions. Ever sense my flame covered, side exhaust match box cars some how always won my childhood gunball runs, I have wanted one.
Now I have it, and I enjoy driving it, but it is running mostly original equipment but not original enough to respect as original. Manual trans, manual steering, manual brakes, and nonexistent heat. Here's the problem I have never worked on cars. All I know comes from the velocity and discovery channel. Two friends of mine have completely self built trucks and have inspired me to attempt to build my 57 into the car of my dreams. That, and when I reached out to my favorite tv builder I was hit with sticker shock. So I started off buying the parts after extensive research with plans to do some work and get help on others, but have sense decided to do everything if possible. You tube is amazing.
The first phase is suspension, brakes, steering and safety related issues.
I have upgrades that I have already purchased but not completely installed and I have planned upgrades that have yet to be purchased. Up front I have RideTech shockwaves and strong arms. They require some extra trimming that the directions didn't indicate and the cross shafts were not included as I anticipated, but ride tech bent over backwards for me and helped me get it done. The one thing I don't like was the lack of detail directions and no torque specifications. I assembled and installed 13" Wilwoods with 2" drop spindles. Extremely detailed instructions were great for a noob (even though a warning says not to install if your a noob) The duel res wilwood master cylinder is set up to remain manual but it is still in the box and I don't own the replacement brakes lines yet. The air lines are not installed yet do to rats nests. Yes I said rats and nests as in plural. Both frame rails were full. It was nasty work today blowing it out with air and a grabber claw. Another item I need to purchase is the steering components.
For the past two weeks I have been attempting to install the HEIDTS pro-g IRS suspension system. Problems started with my one piece frame not being completely compatible with their bolt in set up that was built for the more common two pieces frame. Apparently they have never had this problem before and that concerns me, because how many of these could possibly be out there? Either way we have started the process of attempting to make it work. So today I made cuts in the saddles that mount to the frame rails. Tomorrow I need to mock up the rear and see where the next conflict occurs. Wish me luck!��
Oh and for those who don't know there are two different frame types and the difference is slightly different dimensions between frame rails and different dimensions of rails.

Attachments

·
Administrator
67,376 Posts
Keep at it, you know anything off the shelf does not fit any Trifive, there are always tweaks to be made to get it right.
Once your done and put a few miles on this memory will be so distant you can joke about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to the IRS

I had to make some modifications to the rear saddle.
Electronics Technology Metal

And I cleaned up the frame where the one piece frame is welded to rear section
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Synthetic rubber Wheel

With a little help from a rubber mallet I was able to get the saddles to seat snug to the frame rails.
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Fender

The trick of this part is there are no existing holes to use. Instead you must measure off of the rear leaf spring mount. This enters the possibility of error in measuring, or a discrepancy in frame types. I'm going to mock it all the way up before drilling.

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
For a "noob" looks like you are doing pretty well!
Had those nests inside my frame as well. Hard to get out, and disgusting!
I think you are going to impress yourself on this project. Good Luck!

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
"Oh and for those who don't know there are two different frame types and the difference is slightly different dimensions between frame rails and different dimensions of rails."
Actually there were three different frames available.Two were box style and one "C" channel.Keep up the good work on your car.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Good job, Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
More cutting

The IRS instructions call for the removal of the front leaf spring mount as well as the bump stop mounts. Now I'm in it to win it on this rear end. Hopefully all works out.
These are the before and after of today's work. I still haven't done all the cleaning up with the grinder yet.
Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Auto part

Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Automotive tire Auto part

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Sorry for the sideways pictures can't quite figure it out yet

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So at least I know the first cross member will fit.

I have yet to drill the holes saddles. The reason is because I'm concerned about my measurements. I'm assuming that it is imperative to get assembly perfectly square, but I don't see how to do this with a tape measure with any real accuracy. So I'm gonna improvise for a better way to boost confidence in the squareness, as well as identical and correct wheel base on both sides.
Here's the photo of it clamped in place.
Auto part Vehicle Suspension Engine Car

Can't seem to find the correct drill bits I need or my plum bob do it's off to the hardware store.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Safety wire for a first timer

Sorry for the change of subject, but the safety wire that I ordered just came in and I thought I would go ahead and try to tackle it. Hear was my experience;
The directions Wilwood provided for installation were crystal clear although wire or the specialty pliers were NOT included. After tracking down the right wire an buying the tool I got to work failing over and over. Kinking the wire, start over, twist it to far, start over, can't get it tight enough, start over. I must have attempted ten times before moving on to the second one. Not to mention my cheep $25 pliers broke on the first attempt of the first one. The locking mech works, but not the gear that is supposed to twist the wire. Buy the time I got done with five and six I cut one through four off and re did them.
The picture below is the final product.
Auto part Disc brake Brake Vehicle brake

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well that's just simple.

Actually there were three different frames available.Two were box style and one "C" channel.Keep up the good work on your car.
That's interesting info, good to know. When buying parts I have only ever noticed an option for a one piece or two piece frame so that's what I had based my comments it off of.
As much as I feel I have already researched I'm well aware that I've only started scratching the surface.
Thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back to the IRS

The return to IRS has been painful. The problems seam to occur on every step. Bolts aren't long enough, washers are missing, bolt holes don't line up, gaskets are screwed up, directions are unclear or missing information or the diagram conflicts with the info. Bottom line is this should be an easy quick installation and it has proven anything but.
Auto part Automotive exterior
Auto part Muffler Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle
Personal protective equipment Games Headgear Gas mask Costume
Auto part Audio equipment Rim Metal

That being said, it is starting to look good.
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Exhaust system

1 - 20 of 29 Posts