Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Tony's post on his flipper rebuild and I'll add my post to give a little more detail on how it's done and maybe inspire others to try what seems like an impossible task.
I'm glad Tony and others have gone ahead and rebuilt these pieces, I see many nice restored cars at shows that don't restore the flippers. These cars would look and function better if people would take the time to restore these pieces.
Ok here is how I did mine.
I removed the strip from the outer flipper to address some rust issues and sent it out to be cad plated. This isn't necessary, but I already had the rivet setting tool and had other pieces to be plated so these parts went along.
Before they were sent to the platers I removed the old whisker strips.
If your flippers have the original whiskers use penetrating oil like Kroil to loosen any rust under the crimped bead holding the whisker strip. Hold the flipper flat on a table and grab the end of the whisker with a side cutter pliers and slowly work it out from under the bead. Work a few inches at a time, always holding the flipper down flat near where you are working.

I ordered new whisker strips from East Coast Chevy part # 18-321. These come with a chrome bead along one edge, this needs to be removed to fit under the rolled edge on the flipper. Again hold this piece flat on the table and grab the end of the chrome with the pliers and pull it off and away from the whisker. Work slowly be sure to hold the whisker down as you go.
The back of the new whisker has a thin layer of rubber that needs to be removed to get a better bond with the glue that you will use later. Scrape this rubber off with a utility knife blade.
Even after removing the chrome bead the strips did not fit under the rolled edge of the flipper. I needed to expand the edge slightly without damaging the flipper. I took a piece of 3/32" welding wire and modified an old pliers to use to press the wire under the rolled edge without damaging the flipper. This opened the gap enough to let the whisker strip fit.

The inner flipper piece has an offset section where the whisker goes. This is a difficult area to fit the straight whisker strip into. I made a wooden die to press form the whisker to match the offset.

I used 3M black weatherstrip adhesive to glue the strips in. I applied a small bead of glue to the flipper part only, letting some of the glue flow under the rolled edge. Insert the edge of the new stip that the chrome bead was removed from under the rolled edge first then press it down flat onto the flipper piece. Be sure to have a can of 3M adhesive remover on hand to clean up any glue that oozes out before it begins to dry. I used a lot of clothes pins to hold the strip down while the glue set.
Here are the finished parts. I sanded and buffed all the pieces before glueing the strips in.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
It's very important that the flipper is not distorted during fitting. Although the hardtop profile is curved, the flipper is not, so the mounting must be sealed but spaced using washers to achieve the straightness required for the hinging to work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, i just read your flipper rebuild thread as i am trying to rebuild the flippers on my '57 Chevy 2 door Bel Air Hardtop. I do understand the basics of the rebuild, but i have more questions. I would love to talk to you. I can call you or you can call me, please.
Thanks
Fast Freddy from California
925-206-4240

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,445 Posts
Hi, i just read your flipper rebuild thread as i am trying to rebuild the flippers on my '57 Chevy 2 door Bel Air Hardtop. I do understand the basics of the rebuild, but i have more questions. I would love to talk to you. I can call you or you can call me, please.
Thanks
Fast Freddy from California
925-206-4240
The original posted posted this 6 years ago

Or you can just send them to me for complete rebuild. I've done 100's of them. Really 100's of them. I average one set a week now.

Mikey

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,380 Posts
Hi, i just read your flipper rebuild thread as i am trying to rebuild the flippers on my '57 Chevy 2 door Bel Air Hardtop. I do understand the basics of the rebuild, but i have more questions. I would love to talk to you. I can call you or you can call me, please...Thanks
Fast Freddy from California 925-206-4240
Freddy...If you want to discuss the above procedures with Bcapp55, it would be best to contact him by PM....He is still active, but may not see your post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.