Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a slight humming in my front end. It's louder at about 40mph and settles down about 50. When I mean loud it hard to hear but you can feel it in the steering wheel.
Now when I yard the wheel to the right the noise stop humming, back to centre the hum returns,yard it to the right and the hum gets louder I think.
I adjusted the front brakes back so the wheels spun free. I noticed when doing that the pass side right spun freely and the drive side had a grinding noise or almost like the brakes were rubbing. I took it out and the hum was still there.
My conclusion is the driver side wheel bearings are toast or need a lubing or adjustment. Am I going in the right direction.
I'm going to check tomorrow any thoughts here.

I also read here that the 57 Chev. has needle bearings on the front of the axle and rear of the axle. True and is this atough job to repair these bearings...

Thanks Peter

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Replace the bearings asap with new aftermarket roller bearings, what you're hearing may very well be a wheel bearing going bad, don't do just one but both. Several company's sell the new style wheel bearings for tri-fives...there was a reason auto mfgs quit using needle bearings. Keeping a car original is one thing keeping it safe is another. And they are not that hard to replace.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wheel bearings

I read a bit about this in my manual I see the bearing are round ball bearings one in the front and one sealed in the drum. I guess I was wrong about the needle bearings duh...

Can i get those new bearings at my local napa or wherever. I thought I read you have to modify something to replace those ball Bearings ...Thanks Peter

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Duh on my part also, didn't realize you had a '57...yes you should be able to get the bearings at NAPA, be sure and get both the inner and outer bearings. After all you have the hub off:) and you are probably dealing with 50+yr old bearings...might as well do both sides also

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wheel beerings

This is a post from Bob H a while back.

I was going through some old paperwork and found I posted the wrong part numbers for the direct roller bearing replacement for the 55-57 orginal hub. The part numbers are actually B01R & B40R. Allied Bearing 1-800-421-3658

I don't want to my hubs etc if i don't need too. Peter

Any more thoughts here...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,718 Posts

·
55,718 Posts
Peter....I never did a search for the bearings.....I plan to upgrade to disc brakes.

Another option, if you're going to stick with drum brakes, is to get 61 to 68 full size Chevy hubs.....The bearings are more common for those I believe.

·
55,718 Posts
I was considering them for my '55.....However, from the way I'm reading the post, I believe they will work in all 55-57 hubs.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bearing update

This is what i found regarding the bearings.

you will have to read all the threads to understand this maybe.

The B01 are the original outer bearing they are about $50.00 they come with a outer race and A inner race. You have to get the inner race out some how.

Now the inner race is a b40 and comes with an inner race. its about $70.00

My driver side outer race is scard in one place. so i suspect thats where the humming is coming from. I adjusted the bearing and the humming went away.

As far as the roller bearing i get different numbers. The inner bearing is either
lm67045,47 or no 46 ever made. the most common one is Lm67048. the race is LM67010. about $40.00

The outer bearing is LM11949 and the race is LM11910. about $12 for the pair.

Confuse yet This all comes from an outfit called Kaman.

My humming has stopped so i will still try to get the right rollers soon.

Any thoughts Peter

·
Registered
38,696 Posts
The rockauto link didn't take me to an actual application but I don't think an outfit like Rockauto is selling the conversion tapered roller bearings - they have original ball bearings and they are expensive.

The Danchuk link is also for original bearings, and the price is high.

The tapered roller bearings that fit original hubs were special made and as far as I know they are no longer manufactured. If they were, Danchuk would list them. And they would be just as expensive if not more so than the original ball bearings.

The only reasonable cost way to convert to tapered roller bearingsc without converting to disc brakes is to get the 61-68 full size Chevy car hubs. They are on Ebay and Craigslist or maybe you can find somebody with a parts car from those years. The bearings for those hubs are relatively cheap - $10-15 each - and get the grease seals for those hubs too. They will bolt right up to your spindles.

All those "LM" numbers are for the 61-68 hubs.

·
55,718 Posts
East coast Chevy has original type ball bearings.....The outers for 56/57 are $39.....The inners are $59.....Both come with the races.

6,794 Posts
The rockauto link didn't take me to an actual application but I don't think an outfit like Rockauto is selling the conversion tapered roller bearings - they have original ball bearings and they are expensive.

The Danchuk link is also for original bearings, and the price is high.

The tapered roller bearings that fit original hubs were special made and as far as I know they are no longer manufactured. If they were, Danchuk would list them. And they would be just as expensive if not more so than the original ball bearings.

The only reasonable cost way to convert to tapered roller bearingsc without converting to disc brakes is to get the 61-68 full size Chevy car hubs. They are on Ebay and Craigslist or maybe you can find somebody with a parts car from those years. The bearings for those hubs are relatively cheap - $10-15 each - and get the grease seals for those hubs too. They will bolt right up to your spindles.

All those "LM" numbers are for the 61-68 hubs.

Used a 64 Chevy full size hub as stated and now have relatively inexpensive modern style taper bearings. Highly Recommend and a much better mouse trap, if not upgrading to front disk brakes (better choice and safer). Been there. Lloyd

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.