Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the way home from work Wed. evening I wrecked my 05 Chevy Silverado quad cab z71. I was raining and I quess I was gouing to fast as I went around a turn, I ended up slidding and hit a steel beam that was in the ground to pretect a old time overhead rail road trussel. Not sure yet because it was dark but I thin it may have totoled it. Smashed the whole front end in and got the drivers frame rail as well, However it never deployed the bags. Thank godness I was alone though. Went to the Er for a chek up and said everything looked good, Just will e in alot of pain, said I had wiplash. My truck will never be the same even if it is fixed, Only has 78,xxx origional miles on it. I have full coverage with State Farm, Not sure how good they are though. If its not totaled I want all new parts and also origional GM, Its to low milage and too nice of a truck for the aftermarket junk, JMO

I will be going to the shop and get some pictures tomorrow so everyone can see

Pictures added below

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Shawn, that's bad news, hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I think you will be OK with State Farm. I had a rear ender years ago and had a lot of damage. The guy that did the work replaced most all the parts with used stuff and charged for new stuff, then he used a very cheap paint and now it has rust coming through the paint and the clear coast is mostly gone. It has been so long ago that the insurance company won't do anything about it. I would look at the paint they use to make sure it is a good quality and they use good clear coat. I like using Dupont now, but I was not around when they painted mine. I have not used PPG, but I understand it is a good quality paint also.
If you were close by I would give you some bath salts that has other stuff in it. Soak in it with good hot water for an hour and oh the aches feel so much better. I had major surgery on my neck, front and back and I have pain 24/7 and this stuff really helps. The company is out of business now or I would recommend that you find someone that has it for sale. I have an extra jar of it if you want it, it is yours.
Larry From Tulare [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
glad your ok bummer about your truck,my son got drunk one night and ran from the police ,ended up wrapped around a lamppost,surprisingly when the body shop repaired the frame she ran as good as before[chevy 3 quarter ton]hope all works out for you

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Hope that you are ok, Mike.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Could have been worst. At least you are OK. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident Shawn,but at least you're not hospitalized or injured.Keep us updated on the truck repairs and hopefully State Farm won't come out and say they may have to raise your rates.Let us know,good luck.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pictures

Here are 3 pictures, Then just make me sick. Don't understand why the airbag didn't deploy though. Im sure I willhave a fight with them, I dont wantused parts or aftermarket. I pay for the premimums so I should get what I want.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
It doesnt look totaled to me. several thousands in damage though. better read the fine print on your policy. it probably gives them the ability to use used parts as long as the vehicle is safe when done. most policies are that way unless you had a specificly hand written policy. in all reality who cares as long as it is safe and fixed in a timely manner. don't cause yourself more headaches by worrying if everything is new. just not worth it. just make sure it is safe.

·
Premium Member
15,888 Posts
Shawn, Glad to hear you were not seriously injured. The truck is likely not totaled from what I see in the pics. I'm not sure about your state but here in MA if the vehicle is more than 1 year old the insurance companies can write for used or aftermarket parts and will not go new unless used or aftermarket are not available in a reasonable amount of time. :anim_25:

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I wrecked my Camaro in 2001...the frame was bent but they put it on a frame straightener for 6wks that didn't use heat...the frame came out 2mm closer than when it came from the factory.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Count your lucky stars that your OK since the airbags were not activated.
The truck can be replaced if not fixed.
You`ll be sore for a few days, so take it easy.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Don't understand why the airbag didn't deploy though.
Shawn Good to hear your ok. Sorry you wrecked the truck.

I believe the airbag sensors are on the bottom of the core support below the radiator.

Look Like the way you hit, you missed setting them off.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Doesn't look bad enough to be totaled. All cosmetic damage from the pics. You may have some under carriage as well but I think you'll keep your truck. You got out without too much damage. Slow down...you don't get there faster by speeding.

7,082 Posts
Best part, You are here to deal with it. Wait to point until State Farm acts. Hopefully they will do good. Pat and I had an almost head-on 2 yrs ago and State Farm stepped up, paid much more that I expected and we were taken care of. I realize we probably paid too much for State Farm, but it paid off in spades for us. Glad you were not more seriously hurt, truck appears very fixable. If they do not do you Right, please post results. :shakehands: :bowtier:

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
Looks pretty much cosmetic damage.

Rough guestimate will be around $48-5200 for repairs.

Hope it works out for ya Shawn

·
Registered
532 Posts
State Farm does not use aftermarket parts since they lost a class action lawsuit years ago. The truck doesn't seem to be all that bad. It looks bad, but once the bent sheetmetal is removed, you'd probably be surprised at how things look behind it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts