Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of this product? I saw it used on muscle car tv and they are using it on one of the project cars. I looked on their website, like to see the pricing. www.hushmat.com Terry

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Terry look at their order page for pricing. There is also other products, B-Quiet,SoundOFF, I was told of one called brown bag on an audio site a while back but can't find it on Google. I'm dreading the cost of doing my 55. Any of those products are not cheap

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Just a note.

When I used insulation that had a an airtight surface like that it caused moisture to build up under it, that caused rust to start.

So I would make sure it had good air flow.

Otis

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Otis, what is moisture? Just kidding but where I am it's a dry season 12 months of the year. Just came in from a quick BBQ. 110 in the shade of the tikki hut.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Now I know where we (Florida) should send our humidity....what's the zip code? :)

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike just make sure it passes right on over this area. After the ran a couple of days ago the upper 90`s now feel more like the mid 100`s ,Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Looks like the hush-mat would cost over $500 to do an entire car. Seems pretty expensive, but might be worth it if the car is already apart.

(I'll send the humidity by way of Okla.)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I plan on looking into Lizzard skin spray on also . We are haring a pretty humid day today @ 11 percent and temp of 104. So many fires in the mtn.s it feels like a cloudy day

·
Registered
738 Posts
hey guys... if you are interested in this stuff, do some searches on car audio forums. I guess dynamat is remarkably similar to some sort of asphalt roof product used for patching roofs on mobil homes.

The stuff is called "Peel and Seal". It's asphalt on one side, aluminum on the other like dynamat. The only difference appears to be it's a little thinner (lighter?) and the adhesive isn't quite as good... and it's 1/8th the cost of dynamat! If you are doing the floor of the car, I can't imagine the adhesive is that important. Since it's asphalt based, it might not be the best stuff to use in hot climates like Arizona. Even if you only did the trunk with it, you could save a few bucks. Some car audio guys swear by Peel and Seal, some guys swear at it.

Also, newer versions of dynamat are made primarily of butyl, older versions asphalt. So, the newer versions of dynamat (peel and seal, etc.) type products don't have temp issues because they aren't asphalt based.

I just quickly scanned some car audio forums, and the "hot" ticket is something called RAAMAT. It's cheaper than Dynamat and butyl based.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A55C4 said:
I plan on looking into Lizzard skin spray on also . We are haring a pretty humid day today @ 11 percent and temp of 104. So many fires in the mtn.s it feels like a cloudy day
Make sure you spray it on fairly thick, because if you do it too thin it will not do much good.

thehazmatguy said:
Some car audio guys swear by Peel and Seal, some guys swear at it.
There is a reason that those who have an ear for audio quality and those in sound competition don't use Peel and Seal. It's junk. You can put dirt in your car and you'll deaden the sound, but if you are doing it once, don't you want to do it right? Plus, when it gets hot, you'll have an asphalt smell in your car.

thehazmatguy said:
Also, newer versions of dynamat are made primarily of butyl, older versions asphalt. So, the newer versions of dynamat (peel and seal, etc.) type products don't have temp issues because they aren't asphalt based.
Just want to clarify this... Peal and Seel is roofing material (asphalt based) and Dynamat Original is also asphalt based.

thehazmatguy said:
I just quickly scanned some car audio forums, and the "hot" ticket is something called RAAMAT. It's cheaper than Dynamat and butyl based.
Yes, RAAMMat BXT is pretty good stuff, I've used it before. However, I've switched to using Second Skin Damplifier in my current project, as it is a better mat for not too much more than the RAAMMat. There are several companies that you can go to to get your sound deadening, but I would recommend either RAAMAudio or Second Skin Audio.

For an interesting read and comprehensive test of pretty much all the sound deadening mats, check out Sound Deadener Showdown.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
hushmat

I can't speak to the moisture problem (Michigan location) - but another option is Damplifier from /www.secondskinaudio.com/. I put this in on my firewall and am pleased as to product performance and easy installation. Cost was less than the same style Dynamat at the time (last year.)

I had used Dynamat on the rear seat floor pan before that, and it was harder to form and cut than this. The Damplifier also did not add any real significant thickness to affect the reinstall of the carpet and firewall pad. It was used from the front seat to the bottom of the dash.

Now I can hear my wife talk to me over the motor / header / exhaust noise. I guess that's an improvement????

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with Super_kev... I put Grace Ice and Water Shield (roofing product) in the trunk of my Grand Am and could always smell the asphalt especially during hot arizona days! Thanks for the post Super_kev great info!

How much do you think it would take to do the trunk, doors, and body of a bel air? W/ Second Skin

There is a reason that those who have an ear for audio quality and those in sound competition don't use Peel and Seal. It's junk. You can put dirt in your car and you'll deaden the sound, but if you are doing it once, don't you want to do it right? Plus, when it gets hot, you'll have an asphalt smell in your car.

Just want to clarify this... Peal and Seel is roofing material (asphalt based) and Dynamat Original is also asphalt based.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dynamat Xtreme

If anyone is interested in a super sweet deal I found dynamat xtreme on ebay for the best price I found anywhere. 36 sqft for 94.99 and 29.95 for shipping... on the dynamat website that wouls cost $270 + shipping... I would have ordered 2 if I had the extra money!

ebay item # 130194070425

1 - 18 of 18 Posts