Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys in my rock crawlers club recently fitted his 69 bronco with the hyd brake assist from a 97 Chevy Truck (its connected to the pwr steering pump) - he was having trouble when in super low and idling over the rocks with his cammed up 302 and using the brakes to control his speed. It works great for this application. This piqued my interest as my tow vehicle has a lopey 383 (14 inches vacc at 750-800 rpm idle) and some times while stopping even with a vacc reserve can, with the 6000 lb rig behind me - if the Auto trans (tci towing build) doesn't give my downshift at the correct spot the vacc drops and the brake pedal modulation suddenly changes. It usually does downshift good and the power does not go away until the last feet or so - which is driveable leaving only the panic stop to deal with - but sometimes it won't and can come as a complete suprise. So I end up using not just pedal to judge my stops - but one hand on the shifter as well just in case...

What are some thoughts pro and con on using this setup? I do have a higher stall and could make everything better with a higher idle - but I really don't WANT to (get lots of complements on and dig myself the meaty sound at 750 - 800 Rpm).

·
12,256 Posts
Lots of guys have been using the Hydroboost from GM trucks and vans. I have one in my Silverado Duramax and I think the braking is amazing. I built an adapter to put one on my Nomad, but have since gone to an electric-hydraulic brake setup from ABS Power Brakes that is a lot more compact for my application.

Here's some pics of both.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I have one in my 57. Love it.
Josh

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
I'm using one for my build. Besides the vacuum issue, the unit is more compact (except for length) than a vacuum booster. I built my own adapter bracket and modified the pushrod to accept the stock clevis that connects to the brake pedal arm.

My first encounter with a hydroboost unit was a '77 model 1 ton truck we used to pull a race car trailer. The hydroboost wore out everything else in the engine compartment without ever needing replacement or service.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks - aside from the plumbing it looked pretty straight forward and easy - and the plumbing is easy enough - after I tool up some (which I don't mind if its worth it in the long run). I think that was my biggest concern - I was hestitant to just jump off and do it - and find out it didn't perform to expectations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts