Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1957 Chevy BelAir 4 door sedan
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Hydrovac brake booster rebuilt and installed on the car. Hasn't been on the car for the last 36 years. Finally got around to getting it back in place.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Awesome units, way better than the TreadleVac, trouble is they're rarer, so not many brake places can still rebuild them. The unit on my '57 2DHT has been on for 10yrs now, trouble free.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Very cool only seen on before and it was not working. Its a very rear item job well done.

Later,
Kev

·
Premium Member
11,044 Posts
I have never ever seen one, did not even know of its existence. Can anyone provide a little background on this? I swear I learn something new here every time I am on.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Looking back at the op's threads makes me really want to see more pictures of this car! Looks like factory ac bracket is visible?

BTW, I love 4dr sedans.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,421 Posts
Got an NOS one for my 55 sedan delivery project. Have installed a few over the years on customers cars. And more interesting to look at!

Congratulations on getting it rebuilt and back on!

Mikey

·
9,421 Posts
I have never ever seen one, did not even know of its existence. Can anyone provide a little background on this? I swear I learn something new here every time I am on.
These were dealer installed power brake units offered for stick shift cars. But they can be installed on an automatic as well. Unlike the T-vac power brakes, if this unit should stop working the standard master cylinder will still work. The extra braking power is increased 50%

The shop manual covers the rebuilding and maintenance of these units. Made By Bendix Corporation.

Mikey

·
9,421 Posts
They can be used with any engine GM used in 55-57. In my photo of the NOS unit, there is a huge brass elbow that is used on the manifold for the I-6.

Mikey

·
Registered
1957 Chevy BelAir 4 door sedan
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments guys. Trying to put it all back to stock and get back on the original pieces. Yes, it does have factory or dealer installed air conditioning too. I have all of that, just need to rebuild and replace as needed.

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
Generally dealer supplied and did not require the PB pedal set-up.

I believe some were factory fitted but only due to options limitations/fitment etc.

·
9,421 Posts
Dealer installed Accessory # 987508 in the 57 Accessories Installation manual. The T-Vac was factory installed.

Mikey

·
Registered
56 4 door Bel Air sedan with 265 V8 Power Pac, PG, T-Vac and 57 4 door Bel Air sedan with 235, PG
2 Posts
The T-Vac was factory installed for 57's with automatic transmissions. The Hydrovac was also a factory installed Regular Production Option for models equipped with standard transmissions (see 57 Shop Manual 5-29). Both T-Vac and Hydrovac were RPO 412. The 1957 Factory Assembly Instruction Manual shows the T-Vac RPO 412 Sheets 1-4, and the Hydrovac on Sheet 5 (and states that the Hydrovac is for all models except those vehcles with an Automatic Transmission). The Hydrovac, as stated earlier, was available as a dealer accessory for either the Standard or Automatic vehicles in 57.

Larry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts