Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

I absolutely HATE wild pigs

3K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  BigDaddyRat 
#1 ·
This has been an issue for us for about 4 years now. We have a wild Feral pig problem. They keep destroying our grass. Last year they hit about once a week for 3 months. They haven't hit the grass in one year. But last night they hit again.

Everyone says "just shoot 'em!" Yeah right. They only come at night. I am gone half the month. If you shoot at one, they all scatter and come back another night. Plus they breed twice a year and can have as many as 10 or more babies. The only way to completely eliminate them is put up a fence which I am finally gonna have to do. I have been trying to avoid it due to cost (probably about 10K to put up a fence around our 5 acres.)

I absolutely HATE these things. :motz: :sad0049: :banghead: :puke:

Here's the damage from last night:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Feral pigs will also root under a fence & once again get to your yard area and tear it up. And depending on the size of them they can also break down a fence. Do you have any trappers who would trap them for the meat? Only other choice is to shoot them, sows first boars last, then the young ones.

KINGS X 56

#4 ·
Believe it or not, we hired no less than 3 different trappers. All with no luck. In fact, there's a large trap in the back of our property right now that a guy put up last year and didn't catch one pig. Amazing. One guy had dogs trained to round up the pigs and yet the pigs killed one of his dogs. These things are a huge PITA. I know they are capable of wrecking fences, however, since we are out in the country, I'm doubting that they will take the time to try to get through a fence as opposed to just scurring along the fence line to go somewhere else.

As I said as far as shooting them, I have shot at them, our neighbors have killed them, you just cannot keep up with them. They breed way too fast.

#6 ·
1.5 Million Feral Hogs in Texas?!?!

Mike, I had no idea that Feral Hogs were such a problem in Texas. Here's a pdf file that has some info on Trapping them. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf

"Trapping is a common method utilized by sportsmen and landowners. Live trapping enables the individual to harvest the animal, fatten it up, or sell it. It also allows numerous individuals to be caught at once without an active participant. Several types and designs of live traps can be utilized. The most common design is a 4 foot by 8 foot heavy duty cage with a spring door, root door (see diagram, p. 19), or drop door. Snares can also be used effectively when placed under fences in travelways that surround active areas; however nontarget animals may also be captured. In some areas of Texas, aerial gunning from a helicopter is an efficient technique. There are currently no birth control, toxicants or repellents registered for the control of feral hogs."

Maybe you can find a local hunter who enjoys their meat. Good Luck!!

#7 ·
Mike, I had no idea that Feral Hogs were such a problem in Texas. Here's a pdf file that has some info on Trapping them. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf

"Trapping is a common method utilized by sportsmen and landowners. Live trapping enables the individual to harvest the animal, fatten it up, or sell it. It also allows numerous individuals to be caught at once without an active participant. Several types and designs of live traps can be utilized. The most common design is a 4 foot by 8 foot heavy duty cage with a spring door, root door (see diagram, p. 19), or drop door. Snares can also be used effectively when placed under fences in travelways that surround active areas; however nontarget animals may also be captured. In some areas of Texas, aerial gunning from a helicopter is an efficient technique. There are currently no birth control, toxicants or repellents registered for the control of feral hogs."

Maybe you can find a local hunter who enjoys their meat. Good Luck!!
Booty, Thanks for the info. I have exhausted pretty much all efforts. The trap that's in the back is very much like the one described above. It's amazing at how difficult they are to trap and kill.

I even had a coworker who hunts come out and put bait, trail cameras, etc and he spent many nights sitting in tree stands and such waiting for them to come. Over the course of 3 months, he NEVER saw one pig!! It was funny because he'd come out, say, on a tuesday night and see nothing. Then on that thursday our grass would be all tore up. He'd always miss them. It was like they knew he was there.

And they are certainly an issue in the south. They estimate there's over 3 million of them runnning around in the south. Most are on my property!!!

#8 ·
I'm doubting that they will take the time to try to get through a fence as opposed to just scurring along the fence line to go somewhere else.
Not real sure on that thinking either. If it is a trail that they take, i`m afraid the fence will be gone under or through. I`m not a hunter, but did go on some hunts with my now ex brother-in-law. I saw fences they had went through that you`d have thought they would not be able to go through. They are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.
Terry

#13 ·
Sorry to here about this Mike, forests are nice to have around your property, but you just don't know what is lurking in there until it shows up, those BIG piggies really did a number on your grass, yes, put up a fence line and add electricity, like they do for horses and cattle, once struck by the current, they should remember and stay back, costly yes, 5 arces is a good stretch of land.

:anim_25:

#14 ·
Well, are them ferals immune to Electrical SHOCK..!!!

The only way to completely eliminate them is put up a fence which I am finally gonna have to do. I have been trying to avoid it due to cost (probably about 10K to put up a fence around our 5 acres.)

I absolutely HATE these things. :motz: :sad0049: :banghead: :puke:

Here's the damage from last night:
Mike, wowie!!! man, those darned things can do some damage, looks like something my wife would plow up with her roterteller… lol, but hey, may not be the permanent solution, but in lieu of an expensive fence for now, have you ever thought of running a single strand of electrical wire around the perimeter of your property on insulators about 12” off the ground, then hook it to a "HOT BOX" and watch the fir fly...:rolleyes: I’d bet after they bump into that hot wire a couple times, at least they won’t cross over it into your main yard, just a thought, but it’s obvious, you’re gonna have to do something or their gonna ruin your entire yard !!! good luck !! lata, BDR

#16 ·
I feel sorry for you Mike.
I'm with the power gang above.

One low (inner) and one higher (outer) thread and don't use the thin wire. Attach this to an electric fence transformer suited for cattle.
This will probably not be as expensive as a high strength fence (which they would probably destroy anyhow) and much easier/quicker to install.
Good Luck :tu

#17 ·
Pigs are a Tremendous problem in Texas. Believe you about the traps, but in this area they are a gimme almost anywhere. Sat am we killed and butchered 2 50lb pigs, smoked them and fed everyone some of the best pulled pork that money cannot buy. No way we can shot enough pigs to help the problem. The cattle fence is the way to go and is cheap compared to the fence you mentioned. Good Luck Lloyd

#18 ·
Good grief....and I thought Armadillos were bad on a yard. Rig up and put a motion light out there and when they set it off get up and take care of business. That is incredible what they did to your yard.!!!They are not headed southeast are they? like the Armadillos did and now were infested.

#19 ·
Leon, I already put up an electric fence and the HOA made us take it down as they are against the deed restrictions.

Laszlo, Trust me, we've had lots of trappers with the bait and all and NOTHING!!! I can't even believe it, but they will not go in the traps! I have never heard of such troubles with pigs ever.

#20 ·
About 6 or 7 years ago,we had them invade our property.Only 7 of them.They were after the grub worms,moles and other little animals in ground.Dug up about an acre.
They were not scared of me or the dogs!In fact,I was afraid they would kill the dogs and eat them.
They are small,maybe 2' long or so.Around 70 lbs.
A guy came out and caught them in a trap similar to the one described above.
Called them "Root Hogs".
They used their nose and pushed the sod up.
Mike.:bowtieb::)

#27 ·
Mike if you fence your place get a dog! Ferrel pigs are like deer-they will not come around where a yapping dog is. Too bad your HOA nixed the electric fence as it works real good. We ran one around 100 acres and no more pigs tearing up the hay fields.

#31 ·
AIT at Ft Polk, la, back in '71... a herd of wild pigs/boar, whatever they were came into our bivouac area, and we were all treed for a couple hours. DI's said climb a tree, and we didn't argue. Funny to think a company of infantry trainees were beaten by a bunch of pigs <sigh>

#32 ·
"Sophisticated" techniques here...
Silencers on AK's.
Nite vision sites.
Dogs.
Large pens that they are driven into, & shot. [Aka cattle herding design.]
Biggest problem here is they are in wooded areas, and come out to destroy peanut, onion, and other in-ground plants.

One paid for sport here, is hunting them w/ a pistol!!

Saw 2 crossing the road in the state park, just last week. Probably young ones at maybe 125#.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.