Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1291 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am finally starting a thread on my fathers 69 GMC with the original 396/402 B.B. still in it.

I am sad to say my fathers passed away last February, so needles to say i have had the attitude lately too "live life like there is no tomorrow".

With my wife's blessing, i am bring the truck back home from fathers house next week end, she is going up on jack stands, and i am going to go threw everything from bumper to bumper since she has basically been sitting since i gave the truck back to my dad in 1985, and start driving her again. The plan is to wait another 3 to 4 more years, and then i will start a frame off project with my son who is only 9 years old now.

So even though the truck is still at my dads house tucked away in his garage, my son (Logan) and i started to do some work for the truck today. This weekend i had to deliver a 57 Nomad that i have been storing for a friend the last 3 years back to its home in Santa Rosa, and of-course it was also the Sacramento swap meet at Arco Arena so i just had to stop in, good thing i did, because i killed it...

To make a long story short, when i was driving my fathers truck at the prime old age of 16 years old, a friend of mine got his truck stuck in the mud and asked me to pull him out, of course being the IDIOT teenager i was i said suuuure!!!!. He threw me a chain, and not knowing any better i wrapped it threw the bottom of the front grill and around the front bumper. WELL!!!! you can just imagine the rest. The chain destroyed the bottom of the grill and bent and tweaked the front bumper pretty good.

So my mission at the swap meet was to find a grill & bumper for the 69, needles to say, mission accomplished...

I picked up this front grill attached to the radiator support with the the head light bezels, blinkers and a extra bezel and the original front light wiring harness. The guy wanted 220 bucks for the whole set up, but i walked away with it for 120 dollars, thanks American Pickers, lessons learned I also found a front bumper for 20 bucks.

So my fathers original grill was not painted black, so i found some non toxic paint remover, and put my son to work...

I also gave him a bottle of Mothers Wax and showed him the basics, i must say it brought tears to my eyes to see my son soooo motivated to work on grandpas truck....

so this is what we started with...

and this is what we ended up with...

It is bye no means a show quality grill, but it is soooo much better than the one i destroyed over 20 plus years ago. I will probably spring for a new grill when we do the frame of in 3 to 4 years.

So after the truck sitting for the last 20 some years, the tires are all but ruined and dry rotted, so i plan on purchasing a new set of Rally Sport chrome rims and hub caps with a new set of rubber on them. I would like to run a 8" wide rim in the front, and a 10" wide rim in the rear. As of now, the front coils were heated up by my father back in 1985 to lower the truck. I plan on installing a new set of stock height coils with a 2"drop spindle's when i up grade to disc brakes. The rear end we also lowered, we removed the rear end from the bottom of the lief springs and put it on top of the lief spring, i also plan on installing a 2" lowering block to get rid of the stink bug stance in the rear....

So with all of that being said, what size tires would you recommend for the front & the rear of the truck? and is it possible to run a 10" wide rim on the rear with out having to start tubing the rear end? My game plan besides lowering the truck, and adding A/C, power/disc brakes up front and maybe a 700R4 down the road to bring the truck back to its original state including the olive green paint with a white top.

I will keep posting up updates and pics as soon as i get the truck back home next week end. I don't know who is more excited to bring the truck home, me or my son

7,082 Posts
Rick. You are blessed. Great post and pics. I think the GRILL is Georgous. Look who did it. I just might mount that puppy forever. What a story. Just my thoughts. Great project with History, special. :congrats: :bowtier:

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Wow, you got a deal on that stuff! Some elbow grease and it looks brand new!!
Great job.
Look at Logan digging in. He looks like he's having the time of his life.

You're a great dad, Rick!

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!!!

I must admit i have a hard time sleeping every night going over everything i plan on and need to do to the 69 in my brain OVER & OVER & OVER againa & again:sign0020: ....

Rick. You are blessed. Great post and pics. I think the GRILL is Georgous. Look who did it. I just might mount that puppy forever. What a story. Just my thoughts. Great project with History, special. :congrats: :bowtier:

You know what Lloyd, i could have not said it any better myself, i think i will just mount that grill and leave it on there forever JUST BECAUSE Logan was the one who brought it back to life.... sometimes it takes somebody on the out side looking in to open up your eyes for you.... thanks buddy :shakehands:

Wow, you got a deal on that stuff! Some elbow grease and it looks brand new!!
Great job.
Look at Logan digging in. He looks like he's having the time of his life.

You're a great dad, Rick!
I am not going to pull any no punches here Roger, you are one of the MAIN REASONS i have decided to go all original as MUCH as i can on my fathers truck. You were another person who was looking in from the out side, and woke me up to how RARE this truck is.

I feel if my work turns out as half as good as the magic you are working with your wife's truck, i will be doing pretty good :)

Hey Rick, tell Logan his uncle John said good job.:tu:tu:tu
Logan said get that Nomad back up here, it needs some more polishing also... :)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Im in, you got me hooked Looking forward to your father/Son build.
Awesome job on the grill with Logan`s hard work. Keep it and mount it proud on the truck. His work deserves it :)
Waiting with baited breath for the next installment.

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
That little guy knows how to polish! What a great truck.
Very sorry to hear of your father's passing. Hopefully, one day Logan can pass that truck on to his son.

·
Registered
68,758 Posts
first, sorry about your dad. :p3:
will be looking forward to the build Rick. very cool to be doing this with your son too. :anim_25:

p.s. the Chinese got nothing on you. :damnmate:

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got some of that - comes in handy.:)

Cheers, Des :a_a:
Never seen one of those can, pretty cool....

I didn't think that bumper would come out that good Rick! Logan did great!

Don
Never underestimate the power of a 9 year old Don...:sign0020:

That little guy knows how to polish! What a great truck.
Very sorry to hear of your father's passing. Hopefully, one day Logan can pass that truck on to his son.
I am hoping the same thing Jim, that he will be able to pass the truck along...

Keep it up Rick, your builds don't take that long :)

The truck will be in the garage on jack stands for at-least a couple of weeks why i get her road worthy again, and then i will be driving the new tires off of it...

first, sorry about your dad. :p3:
will be looking forward to the build Rick. very cool to be doing this with your son too. :anim_25:

p.s. the Chinese got nothing on you. :damnmate:
Thanks Carl!!!!

The whole plan on this truck was for me and my father to start to the project together, but with him living so far away, and his health taking a turn for the worse so darn fast, it just never happened :(

Now that my father has passed, it will be up to Logan & i to start and finish the project.....

Just came across this Rick, you said it was time when you were over here, I guess you were serious. So cool to have Logan helping you out, look forward to seeing the truck in July.
Thanks Jeff!!!

Seeing your GORGEOUS 57 truck gave me the inspiration i need to get my booty in gear and get rolling on the 69....

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Always nice to have help. He did a good job too, Mike

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Way to go Logan. This is going to be a fun project to watch...thanks for sharing, Rick.
A FUN PROJECT TO WATCH????

I was thinking we need to have you Randy & John come up to my house again for a little garage time once i get the truck home this week end like we did for Johns Nomad Jim!!!

1 - 20 of 1291 Posts