Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has noticed my slight absence lately, I have had my hands full! Today I finished up the paperwork regarding the purchase of a 1980 Cessna 172N Skyhawk II. The plane came up for sale locally and I could not let the chance slip by to own such a nice plane. I have been starting work on my instrument rating and with rental fees exceeding $140 an hour, I found it more economical to simply own my own!

The plane has full IFR certification and has only 55 hours since the last major engine overhaul. It flies like a dream and I cannot wait to continue logging hours in her! Any other aircraft owners on Trifive?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Fantastic. Congratulations! No... I don't own my own...yet! Did you buy it yourself or with a partner? I had the op to purchase one a couple years ago and let it slip. If you fly a lot, you're right. Better to own. See you in the air. AOPA member?

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Congrats WT, Great find looks like a pristine bird.

Ive been building mine for the last 8 years (on and off) I usually work on the plane when its to cold to work on the 55.

Here is mine.

The engine is chevy 100 HP corvair converted to aircraft use.

Its a little farther along than the pictures.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Very cool Will!! ...just love the pic with the pickup :tu:tu:congrats::congrats:

No such deal for me, I prefer to watch em, so I stick to scale RC...and even at that, no plans for anything new until we get a '56 home :)

Edit: ... that said, if I ever did venture down that road (which I seriously doubt), I've daydreamed the idea of having an old Cub, or to dream big, a Beaver!!! There is a float plane base about a mile from home, and I love hearing the big ole radial on the Beaver as it takes off, as passes by my place! :)

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Flames! Uhhhh no, that wouldn't be a good idea on an airplane...:ahhhhh:
Kind of like flames on a casket. "...wonder where HE'S going?":sign0020:
Looks great Will. It was good talking to you today.
Dixie and I would love to take a ride sometime before you take it down to Olive Branch AP. I'll even help with fuel costs.:tu

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Nice plane Will,like the photo of your truck too.:tu:tu:tu
Back in 1978 my friend Mike and I went partners on a
1970 Cessna 150.We paid $7,200.00 for it back then.
Mike was teaching me how to fly in it,but I never did
go for flight training to get a pilot's license.
I found the trickiest part was learning to land.Also
when first taxiing and steering with my feet I would
sometime turn the wheel for the ailerons by mistake,
thinking like steering a car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.