Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i change the 7 wheels to 16 will i change the speedometer,will the car sit a little lower ,will it handle the same ,i love the areo 606 but i cannot get them in 17in.if there is to much trouble illlook for foose 17x7 legends thanks guys,every time i think im done i have to get something else i think im addicted

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,020 Posts
if i change the 7 wheels to 16 will i change the speedometer,will the car sit a little lower ,will it handle the same ,i love the areo 606 but i cannot get them in 17in.if there is to much trouble illlook for foose 17x7 legends thanks guys,every time i think im done i have to get something else i think im addicted
The tire size affects the speedometer, not the wheel size. The tires will also affect the handling, not the wheel size.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
If you look up tires on tirerack.com, it has a link for "specs" and it will give you the tire height. That's what will affect your speedometer.

I have 16's on my Bel Air. I like them and I was able to get the size and type of tire I wanted with them.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
There is not as much selection in tire sizes in 16" vs. 17". So as you think about selecting wheels, think about selecting the tires too.

There's also more selection in 15" than 16".

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I just switched form 15's to 17's and the bigger tires and wheels handle much better. Not sure if 1“ would make that much difference though. As for the speedometer yes it will be off, but what I did is add a GPS speedometer controller from Dakota Digital and I don't need to worry about tire sizes or rear axle change again affecting my speedo. Not sure what gauges you use but that is an option for you.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zbad i too have Dakota digital gauges,i have been trying to get 17 in wheels but there is not much choice [that i like] thanks for the responses guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
So what combo did you go with on the 17 you adviced me that you had used 255/60/r15 on the rear & 235/60/r15 on the fronts mounted on 15"Cragars fit without any problems like the idea of the 17's with better handling as long as no problems with mounting or rubbing etc.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts