Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
A Soldier's Prayer...The soldier stood and faced his God Which must always come to pass...
He hoped his shoes were shining Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you soldier, How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To My Church have you been true?"
The soldier squared his shoulders and Said,"No, Lord, I guess I ain't...
Because those of us who carry guns Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent, Because the streets are awfully tough.
But, I never took a penny That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime When the bills got just too steep,
And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place Among the people here...
They never wanted me around Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was a silence all around the throne Where the saints had often trod...
As the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God,
"Step forward now you soldier,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in ****."
Dedicated To All That Serve... God Bless America!

·
Registered
219 Posts
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or reserve- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The Government of the United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. . . and military wives are as much veterans as their
spouses.
When a Veteran leaves the 'job' and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased, and others, who may have already retired, wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know.

1. We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times.

2. We know in the Military life there is a fellowship which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet.

3. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the Military world with a respect for what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing.

Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life. You are only escaping the 'job' and merely being allowed to leave 'active' duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment that you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
[QUOTE=BuckNeccid

2. We know in the Military life there is a fellowship which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet.

3. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

When my Mother died,my brother cleaned out her house and threw away my uniform and all of my medals(Such a close family)

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or reserve- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The Government of the United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. . . and military wives are as much veterans as their
spouses.
When a Veteran leaves the 'job' and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased, and others, who may have already retired, wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know.

1. We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the Military world with a respect for what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing.

Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life. You are only escaping the 'job' and merely being allowed to leave 'active' duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment that you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

Buck that was truly from the heart, did you write it ?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thanks Auggie.

Thanks for posting that video Auggie. I'm glad I watched it alone. Flashbacks of my homecoming from Viet Nam. JIM.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
THANKS FOR THE POST. ONLY THOSE OF US THAT HAVE MADE IT HOME WILL UNDERSTAND THE FULL IMPACT OF THIS VIDEO. FOR THOSE THAT DID MOT MAKE HOME, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!
Jeffrey
Nam 67-68

·
Registered
219 Posts
Buck that was truly from the heart, did you write it ?
I can't claim the credit, but when I saw it, it hit me so hard that it was how I felt that I had to save it and pass it on any chance I get. I wish I could give credit to whoever did write it, but it was one of those anonymous things.

A few years back I went back to Ft Campbell, and saw the look in the young troopers eyes... same as I gave the WW2 Troopers who would visit us. "You had your time, this is ours". It was sad, it as hurting, but I understood it, I just wish they knew the warrior inside.

The next is something I got off the back of a Soldiers Magazine, back in the early 70's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts