Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be plumbing the brake lines on this wagon soon and I am looking for a braided flex line for the rear with the clear vinyl coating on the outside. It is a 12 bolt rear and I am intending on welding a tab on the pass. side axle tube to run rear line down the pass. side, just like the factory did. But I am having trouble finding a braided hose with the "tee" built into it to clamp to the rear axle tab I will be adding. I'm ok with a stock rubber hose as I don't intend on putting this wagon into a max-effort braking situation where I will test the stock hose's ability to not swell, but would prefer to have a coated, braided hose to match the braided hose up front. Yea, I know no one will see the stock rubber hose (and do I NEED to have a braided hose?-no), but it's a small detail-thing of my choice. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I had the same problem on my car and found that the rear brake hose from a Chevy S10 is exactly what you need. You can get it from your local parts store and it was probably around $10. Let me find out the year and I'll post it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is a company out here in So Cal where I live called "The Hose man". Mainly serve industrial needs but they also do custom work for people with custom cars and bikes. They did some nice braided flex steel lines for my Truck that I put a Explorer rear end in. I guess see if they are in your area or find a similar supplier. This place I used had a very skilled hose fabricator that did mine for a reasonable price, plus they have all kinds of fittings and adapters to make anything up.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow, thanks for the responses guys.
Don-I just ordered the 30 ft. straight line set from inline tube that uses 6 ft. lengths of S.S. lines and the 45 deg. double flare from them. Very nice lines and fittings. I had some trouble navigating their website. Is it just my computer, or did you see the jumbled up text in their 'powerbraid hose' section? I guess I can call them, but I sure would like to see exactly what I'm ordering before getting the wrong item. Need to order their catalog so I can see the items better.
Highroller-thank you for your suggestion, but I'm trying to stay away from the 37 degree single flare as well as stacking up adaptors-gonna keep it clean and simple. I know guys have made it work with no problems, but I have murphy's law-luck. If it can go wrong, it will for me. Heck, a friend that runs dirt modifieds uses AN fittings and flexible nylon tubing for his system with no problems! But I have my hangups with how I think brake plumbing should be for a street car that I'll turn my mom and dad loose in for an extended road trip. It's just my personal opinion.
Jemo-I crawled under my '86 S-10 and saw the same solution as you, but I would prefer to go with the braided hose to match the fronts. That is the ideal hose to accomplish what I'm looking for, but when I run the flex line from the stock frame mount to the axle, I'm worried about interference with the 3" exhaust I'm **** bent on running out the rear. Did you route your S-10 flex line on the pass. side and use the diff. cover bolts to attach it? By chance would you have pictures? Haven't got the exhaust routed that far yet, so the jury is still out on that...I'm not done searching, and if I can't find what I'm looking for I am probably going this route.
Hoghead-thanks. I am searching for local hose suppliers as well for exactly what you're talking about.
Once again, thanks for all the responses guys, all great ones.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I have terrible search skills. I looked at the inline tube website again, and my problem was I was searching for an O.E. replacement line. I looked at their street rod online catalog and found the rear drop hose, as they call it, in a coated, braided line with the correct flare ends and a tee built into it. It is a bolt on tee, so I have the option to weld a bracket to the tube or make a bracket to bolt it to the diff. cover bolts. Should work out good. Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
12,256 Posts
But I have my hangups with how I think brake plumbing should be for a street car that I'll turn my mom and dad loose in for an extended road trip. It's just my personal opinion.
If AN fittings are good enough for the military, and for aircraft, they're good enough for me. I used AN on all of my brake and fuel lines. Try to find a fighter or an airliner with inverted flare fittings. :rolleyes:

If your hose has a male inverted flare end on it, why not just use a female inverted flare tee?

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
Chevynut, I don't think he was busting AN fittings - unless it was aluminum ones. Which is as it should be. He was also busting some kind of nylon tubing, again as it should be.

The correct plumbing is teflon tube with stainless steel braid and steel or stainless steel AN fittings. Or the stock style fabric reinforced rubber hose, again with steel fittings.

What I'm not clear on is the clear plastic tubing over the braid. Just the braided hose works for me, as long as it's the teflon high pressure stuff, and not the rubber low pressure stuff that should be used for fuel and water lines.

·
12,256 Posts
What I'm not clear on is the clear plastic tubing over the braid. Just the braided hose works for me, as long as it's the teflon high pressure stuff, and not the rubber low pressure stuff that should be used for fuel and water lines.
I was told that the clear plastic cover was to keep dirt out of the braid. Apparently if it gets in there, it can cause the inner teflon hose to wear when the hose moves. The Russell braided SS hoses I got have the clear plastic cover.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's just my personal preference, ok? Where in this post did you read anything I said negative towards AN fittings?
Smiley faces.

I got the coated simply because my hands tend to find any chaffing in any braided hose. One less trip to the first aid kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts