Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending that last two days dismantling the seats for my Nomad, I can't believe just what a job that is. I now must have clipped several hundred hog rings. The fun part is it is like peeling an onion. I would go all the way around the seat and clip all visible hog ring only to find yet another layer hidden beneath. This went on up to 5 laps around the edge of the seat before all material was free from the frames. If it is half as tedious to put them back together, you guys earn your money. My hat is off to you all.:tu:tu:tu

·
Registered
67,683 Posts
did you hear that terry? :cheerleader1:

·
Registered
540 Posts
After spending that last two days dismantling the seats for my Nomad, I can't believe just what a job that is. I now must have clipped several hundred hog rings. The fun part is it is like peeling an onion. I would go all the way around the seat and clip all visible hog ring only to find yet another layer hidden beneath. This went on up to 5 laps around the edge of the seat before all material was free from the frames. If it is half as tedious to put them back together, you guys earn your money. My hat is off to you all.:tu:tu:tu
Much appreciated......
And congrats go out to you for diving into the job yourself! :shakehands:
This is the place for pointers if you need 'em. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just have one question for you Terry. How come old foam turns to cornbread? when i finally got the seats yanked out of the car, the floor was covered with what looked like crumbled corn bread. I had to deal with that stuff for the last two days. I am having a professional rebuild the seats but he said it would save me his time to disassemble them. Now i know why.:sign0020:

·
Administrator
49,467 Posts
The old foam just gets old and dried out from age. You would be surprised how many do not want to spend the money to replace the foam on an old seat. I tell them if they don`t want to rebuild them correctly i won`t touch it. It makes my part look bad when finished.
Tery

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have a believer in me Terry. The foam on the bottom of the back seat seemed fine along the sides, but when i got to the middle, "cornbread time".This will be the one and i hope only time I will put an interior in the car so it might as well be done right like everything else on the car. This is my first attempt at anything upholstery and it has been an eye opener. I had no idea what went into a seat.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
I just have one question for you Terry. How come old foam turns to cornbread? when i finally got the seats yanked out of the car, the floor was covered with what looked like crumbled corn bread. I had to deal with that stuff for the last two days. I am having a professional rebuild the seats but he said it would save me his time to disassemble them. Now i know why.:sign0020:
YOU are not saving your interior man time and money John, you are just removing the seats to make sure i do not see what that 468 is ALL ABOUT while your Nomad is at my house...i see how you are buddy :sign0020:

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Hey Rick, a GOOD driver should be able to burn the tires from a milk crate no problem.:sign0020:
I had 6 months of practice moving my 57 in & out of the garage with the GOOD OLE' MILK crate, the only thing that suck's are the lines it leaves on your butt if you sit on it to long :sign0020:

Rick

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Wayne, i broke down and sprung for an 8" pair of Klein cutters made here in the USA. Best investment in years because they cut those pesky hog rings like butter, but my hands are still sore. I am ambidextrous so i could use both hands to cut.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Hey Wayne, i broke down and sprung for an 8" pair of Klein cutters made here in the USA. Best investment in years because they cut those pesky hog rings like butter, but my hands are still sore. I am ambidextrous so i could use both hands to cut.
I've got a pair of those cutters, but what I use to remove those are two pair of needle-nose vice grips, clip one vice grip on each opposing side of the ring, then pull the handles together and the ring opens right up. :tu

When it comes to reinstalling them, I found an old pair of hog ring pliers my Dad had in an old tool box I inherited, those things must be at least 80 years old... still work like a charm!!!

Best of luck with the interior project John, we loved all those pictures you posted...those copper colors turned out Beauti....errrr oh wait, that's right, you still HADN'T posted any YET!!! only colors we're see'n now is RED!!! :sign0020:

Seriously, looking forward to those pictures...:tu:tu:tu

BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Interior

Getting ready to do my interior now and after much thought I decided to let Ciadella do my seats ( I'm lucky, there only about 20 miles from me). Looks like I made the right choice for a change..

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
YOU are not saving your interior man time and money John, you are just removing the seats to make sure i do not see what that 468 is ALL ABOUT while your Nomad is at my house...i see how you are buddy :sign0020:

Rick
Do you blame him, Rick. John is smarter than he looks :).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts