Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I have disc brakes in the front and drum in the back of my 55 4Dr wagon. What type of brake master cylinder will I need to hook this up? Also noticed that the past owner striped it of all its brake lines.

1,544 Posts
Hi Wagonguy: You can use a slightly modified stock MC all the way up the money ladder to power assisted dual master cylinder with proportioning valve but from my experiance I have yet to meet anyone who has gone the expensive route without a whole basket full of trouble, I went with the instructions from CCI and project X gets disk brakes and that explained how to modify the stock MC to work without a proportioning valve and without changing any brake lines and I did this about 12 years ago and haven't had a problem yet and this was my daily driver, if you want the article e-mail me and I'll send it along, that goes for anybody out there.
Merry Christmas to all.....Bob

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
55CWG, I`d say yes and if you have room i`d go ahead and buy the 9" booster. I have the 7" but have read that it leaves the brake pedal feel a little soft. If i don`t like the feel after i get mine back on the road i`ll change it out for a 9" booster.
Terry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO I take it the 9" Booster will only help assist with the stopping power?
How will I know if I have enough room? Where will I run into problems?
I can't really tell on my 55 because when I picked it up the motor was removed and no brake master/booster at all.

Thanks Guy's

1,544 Posts
1,544 Posts
Hey Bob; maybe you should post that article in the Chevy Restoration Q&A section for those who may be interested.
Mike: Two reasons I don't post the articles, one I don't know how and two they are copywrited, I'm happy to help out a friend any time, I have every article from CCI back to 74.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
David: Do me a favor and try the stock setup covered in the article I sent you, you can always spend money and add later if you are not happy, several friends in my club have driven mine after they have installed the power setup and all they can say is wow I wish I had listened.
Bob
I sure will, But i'll need to buy the SS lines though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts