Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we bought our '55 2dr 210 in Mar. '70, my wife and I were students. We parked that 'lil Chevy anywhere, anytime, we wanted. Never thought about it. Parked it in parking lots, front of the apt., drive thru snow, rain, you name it. Never gave it a second thought to the security, classic car, nothing. We just drove the dang thang. That was 1970 til I sold it in 1988 (repurchased it back in 2012). WHEN did it get to the point where we can not leave a tri-five anywhere, any place, any time????

Dennis

·
Administrator
70,795 Posts
Back in the 70`s they were just another car, there were loads of them around and they were not worth much.

Welcome to 2013, alot of older guys had come in contact with a Trifive in their lifetime, memories they wish to relive, hence the popularity revived. Only problem is that there isnt alot of really good ones around in original condition, thats the drive for the price to go up.

·
R.I.P. 3-19-2017
15,575 Posts
I hear you Dennis. I drove the nomad as a daily driver at San Jose State from 71-74. I had a hardened chain with a lock on it around the hood latch to keep honest people honest. That was my total security. I guess that gas was much cheaper then too since it was a built 292 with a four speed and 4:11 posi gears. it tached 4000 RPM @ 70.

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
Back in the 70`s they were just another car, there were loads of them around and they were not worth much.

Welcome to 2013, alot of older guys had come in contact with a Trifive in their lifetime, memories they wish to relive, hence the popularity revived. Only problem is that there isnt alot of really good ones around in original condition, thats the drive for the price to go up.

Very sad but true....I don't leave mine (except at shows or cruises) anywhere its out of my sight.....:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Likewise, Iam the same..Belle never leaves my site like a child. I went out of town to two car shows but never again....stayed at a hotel on the third floor at the rear of the hotel and Belle was out front in the parking lot. The alarm was on and good for 1,000 ft but wouldnt have done any good. The second time parked in front of the overhang by lobby and had a first floor room looking right out onto Belle but People kept peering into her on the their way to check in so every 10 min. I would jump up from watching tv and my wife said, "you're worst than an expected father!" I am I admit but she's not responsible for Belle. Parking at a restaurant was interesting - we had to wait until a table or booth was available by the front window so I could look out and see no harm came to Belle. So now If I park her somewhere I take up two spots and never go to a store where I am so deep inside I cant see her. People can key a car in 2 seconds and there's a new expensive paint job.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
425 Posts
It's too bad we can't leave our Chevy's out of site, it's a different time and place. The key on the side of the car bother's me more than anything else. It's too bad and even at car shows you still have the chance of getting keyed, I've heard of it more then once. Some of the car show folks have hired cops in street clothes to make sure that nothing happens. One guy caught trying spent time in the pokie.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
I worry about where I park with everyone of my cars, not just my trifives. nobody seems to care about others property, very sad times. mmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
I am the same way Carl...years ago I bought home a new 82 Dodge Challenger..sleek black and the next day my family took it to the mall. When we came out an hour later it was pouring raining (and had been since we went in), we drove home and when it stopped a short time later noticed someone keyed the whole driver's side from rear to front. We were sick.
I value all of my cars (5) and park away from others when I possible can.
People swing their doors open like they're are in a barn!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I drove mine to the fish camp, seafood restaurant to all but Southerners, Friday night and parked it so I could see it from the windows of the building. I picked a table that I could see it from. Sure enough, it drew a constant stream of lookers. Then a kid at the booth under the window closed the blinds, the sun was in his grandfathers eyes. At least it was still there when we returned. :gba:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Had to have my dual quads dialed-in and adjust the timing on the Nomad. When I talked to the Auto Clinic he told me just to drop it off and pick it up later. For a split second it angered me. Then it dawned on me that's what he says about all cars. I, of course as I do to everybody,had to explain it was a 55 Nomad that I am overly PROTECTIVE of and simply put "its my baby". Not only am I going to stay with the Nomad ,I'm going to be under the hood with him. He smiled and said he understood. He even gave me the tour of his shop. He showed me a "70 big block Chevelle and his retired Fathers '57 2-dr hardtop big block Chevy. Both in excellant shape. So, it was comforting to know he truly WAS a car guy.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I do watch where I park the 57, but around here we never have any problems. The local car shows everybody watches each others cars. We usually take 2 or 3 cars when we go, so we have 5 - 6 people around & take turns looking at all the cars!

Bo

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I got my car in late 75 and I used it for everything - going to school, downtown at the bars, going up to the lake, movies, whatever. Once somebody put a crease in the rear fender in a parking lot but not the end of the world.

Now, I don't think I will be so cavalier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.