Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...just a little story about my experience yesterday with Art Carr. I work about half an hour away from his operation in Huntington Beach, Ca. I wanted to buy this little carb bracket for my QJet to help get the geometry of the 700r4 TV cable dialed in.....so I called ahead to be sure they had it in stock before making the drive.

When I got there a few hours later, (around lunch time) the only person in the front office was Art Carr. I told him I had called about the little part ($35 dollar item) and he told me to come out with him to the warehouse. He had actually pulled the part aside for me as a result of my call earlier that day. (I guess the guy I had talked to that morning had been Art)

I was the only customer there at that moment, and he drug me around the warehouse and started showing me all of their operations....he was real proud of his 2004r transmissions, and chastized me for getting a 700 "those are old school" he said. (I hung my head in shame for a few moments out of respect) He showed me where they dyno tested their transmissions, and the area where they made thier torque converters. I'm guessing this guy was 75 years old, and I was amazed at the level of excitement, pride and energy he had for his products and operation.

I thanked him for the tour, and suggested we go back into the office so that I could pay for the part before I left. He just said "it's on me"....and sent me on my way. (more than likely it was because he didn't know how to write up the order himself, or didn't want to take the time....but I thought it was pretty nice of the guy)

Anyway, just one of those "interesting moments" that is worth passing along.

Ace

6,794 Posts
A real old-time nice car guy and gentleman. Treasure that part. :) Lloyd

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Yes it is nice to know there are still a few of the "old guard" out there...he sounds like a great person to do business with. Bet you'll probably return to his business if you need something:)

· Registered
19,497 Posts
I have never heard of Art Carr or his company before but he sounds like the kind of guy I would like to do business with:shakehands: Later, Dave

· Registered
1,946 Posts
"I thanked him for the tour, and suggested we go back into the office so that I could pay for the part before I left. He just said "it's on me"....and sent me on my way. (more than likely it was because he didn't know how to write up the order himself, or didn't want to take the time....but I thought it was pretty nice of the guy)"

Sorry I don't criticise anyone here very often, but I feel you deserve it. The man gives you a tour of his facility and then gives you a $35 part. He didn't do it because he didn't know how to write the order, (he started the business!) or didn't want to take the time?? He just took the time to show you his place. He did it because he wanted to, either he took a liking to you or he hopes you'll do business with him again and send him others. "Pretty nice" ?? Darn nice! Come on give the Gentleman a little more credit and respect.

· Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Randy, that actually WAS a compliment to Art Carr. Most business owners are "movers and shakers".. They are great salesmen, and not really detail oriented. They don't typically feel writing up an order is worth their time....or even worth their time to learn how to complete the "order form". It was lunch time, and no one else was there.....trust me.......he didn't know how to write up the order. I wouldn't expect him to!! and it doesn't mean I don't appreciate his generosity.

· Registered
7,074 Posts
Art is..

one of the true pioneers of the hot rod industry.
Last I talked w/ him, I had a 1966 Car Craft mag w/ an article in it about his Torqueflite shifter kit. He made a few of them, [cable type], push button operated.
I saw 1 on Landy's Dodge, and wanted 1 for my Belve..Sadly, he had only the 1 he had for making molds, and didn't think I'd be able to find the rest of the parts for it.

I copied the article, and sent it to him....After we spent an hr on the fone!:cool:

As for the "office help". He said he had 1 other person there, and she had been with him for MANY yrs..

A true gentleman, with "war stories" galore.:party0031:

· Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crafty, it's my understanding that he sold his first company (Art Carr performance products) along with the rights to use his name. Subsequently, he started up this new company California Performance Transmissions. I've heard rumors that they're keeping some attorneys busy with non-compete issues.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Ace57, I hope I was wrong in my opinion of your text. You stated he drug you around. It just sounded like you didn't appreciate it. Getting to spend a little time with a man like Art Carr is pretty cool.

· Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Randy, your take on my post was wrong. If I didn't think it was a great experience, I wouldn't have posted it......I sure wasn't complaining about meeting Art Carr and getting my part for free! Now that we have that cleared up, we can move onto something more positive.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
Hi.

I also have had the pleasuare to meet Art Carr and i have to say that he is a very nice person.:tu

I came by there when it was closing time but he took time to show me his workshop and some customers cars that they have in the shop. :tu :tu

I have that 200 4R in my Delivery and it works great even when you use the trottle really hard.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.