Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks
I just got our 56 wagon back from the body shop and i'm currently wiring it. I'm using wiring harnesses from eckler's i think they are factory fit brand. my problem is I have a pink wire that has to go to the "bat" terminal on the accessory fuse panel, only i don't see a label on the panel that says BAT. there's all the other accessories just not BAT. and also i have two wires (dark blue and purple) that go to the neutral saftey switch but i'm not sure which terminals they go to.

part of my frustration is i can't find the accessory fuse panel or the safety swich in the 56 manual, or the assembly manual????

any help would be great and thanks in advance.

dirk.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Hello folks
I just got our 56 wagon back from the body shop and i'm currently wiring it. I'm using wiring harnesses from eckler's i think they are factory fit brand. my problem is I have a pink wire that has to go to the "bat" terminal on the accessory fuse panel, only i don't see a label on the panel that says BAT. there's all the other accessories just not BAT. and also i have two wires (dark blue and purple) that go to the neutral saftey switch but i'm not sure which terminals they go to.

part of my frustration is i can't find the accessory fuse panel or the safety swich in the 56 manual, or the assembly manual????

any help would be great and thanks in advance.

dirk.
The 55 and 56 are the same, Go to the online assembly manual, RPO section sheet 5 has a diagram. http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/101-5.gif

Gary

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,357 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks pops and gary, the neutral safety switch drawing helps but i have two red wires just dangling from the other two contacts on the switch (passenger side terminals) does anyone know where these are supposed to be connected? also i think my 56 must have had it's fuse panel replaced because mine doesn't look anything like the one in that diagram????? and it's mounted on the underside of the dash parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one more thing-
this car will have aftermarket fuel inj. does anyone know what a good wire is that is hot in the on and run positions?? thanks again this site is so helpful
dirk.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,421 Posts
ok thanks pops and gary, the neutral safety switch drawing helps but i have two red wires just dangling from the other two contacts on the switch (passenger side terminals) does anyone know where these are supposed to be connected? also i think my 56 must have had it's fuse panel replaced because mine doesn't look anything like the one in that diagram????? and it's mounted on the underside of the dash parallel to the ground.
The other 2 terminals on the neutral safety switch are the back-up lights. Originally the back-up lights used green wires, so it does sound like someone did some rewiring. It's hard to say how to wire your fuse panel if it's not the original type. If you are using an AAW factory fit harness, it may be easiest to get a stock fuse panel. I think the vendors have them.
If you can post a picture of your fuse panel, maybe someone can identify it.

·
26,421 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your help Don, here's another one for you:
I'm using a pertronix ignitor and flame thrower coil, do i still need my ballast resistor??

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
most HEI's like full voltage to the coil. I removed my ballast resister. I run a Top Street Performance HEI with a flame thrower coil. Check with manufacturer to be sure. Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am running the same pertronics set up and I was told that I didnt need the ballast resistor anylonger from one of the tech guys at Danchuck.

I am having similar issues - replacing the ignition switch and harness..........there are wires attached that are not in any pictures and diagrams. I am just following the wires to where they go and then determine if I still need them or if I need to get the power from somewhere else.

I really hate wiring......

Goobs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does anyone know what to do with the wire that comes from the wiper motor if the ballast resister is no longer in use?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK i appreciate all of your help but i need some more:
i'm using factory fit wiring harnesses, everything is hooked up except for the following:

door switches(i don't have them yet so i've taped the terminals)
liscence plate lights(rear bumper not on yet)
the ballast resistor is removed and the two wires are clamped together
two red wires that are coming from the neutral safety switch(i think they are reverse lights but i don't know where they go, there is no mention of them in the manual or assembly manual)

here is my problem:
i only have high beams no low beams
signals do not flash but the indicators in the dash both flash at the same time
i have no park lights
and the other thing: when i activate the park or driving lights the light switch starts to spark on those contact thingys and the dash lights flicker on and off.

I know this is a lot but i'm over my head i any help you folks could give me would be very helpful

Dirk

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,357 Posts
does anyone know what to do with the wire that comes from the wiper motor if the ballast resister is no longer in use?
Just wire it into an unused, fused terminal on the junction block that is fed by the pink wire.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I would recommend running the positive wire from the electric wiper motor to a fused contact in the fuse block. Take an amp reading with the motor on high and low and use the highest reading to install the fuse needed. If the motor pulls 4 amps then use a 5 or 6 amp fuse. I would recommend running all electric wiper motors to a dedicated fuse in the fuse block. If the motor shorted out for any reason you would have no ignition and your motor would not start. Jim

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Should be a white wire for each door and they connect to the door switches. They complete the circuit to ground to make the dome light operate. Make sure you use a double contact bulb 1004 for 55-56's and 94 for 57's

·
26,421 Posts
two red wires that are coming from the neutral safety switch(i think they are reverse lights but i don't know where they go, there is no mention of them in the manual or assembly manual)
The backup light wires are usually green. The neutral safety wires are violet. Is your car automatic? Do you have back uplights?
here is my problem:
i only have high beams no low beams
signals do not flash but the indicators in the dash both flash at the same time
i have no park lights
and the other thing: when i activate the park or driving lights the light switch starts to spark on those contact thingys and the dash lights flicker on and off. Dirk
Check the connections on the headlight dimmer switch under the car for the low beam problem.
Sounds like the front parking lights are not grounded. That would explain the "no park lights" and "indicators both flash".
Does the headlight switch flash when the headlights are on, or just the first position parking lights? Is the end of the wire to the license plate lights shorted to something?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts