Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been working on sanding my car for paint when I get tired from working on the floors. The problem is that I have 2 layers of paint and I CANNOT get it all off in some places. Its so difficult. I'm using an electric orbital sander. Ive tried a stripper called aircraft. It does great with the first layer, but I doesn't take up the original paint! Does anyone have any products to recommend that will help me with this? Hopefully they wont be too expensive since I have expenses with these floor pans. Thanks! bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Hey guys. I've been working on sanding my car for paint when I get tired from working on the floors. The problem is that I have 2 layers of paint and I CANNOT get it all off in some places. Its so difficult. I'm using an electric orbital sander. Ive tried a stripper called aircraft. It does great with the first layer, but I doesn't take up the original paint! Does anyone have any products to recommend that will help me with this? Hopefully they wont be too expensive since I have expenses with these floor pans. Thanks! bowtie-trifive
Get a heat gun and sharp putty knife or razor blade. Just don't overheat the panels

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Roughen up that original paint & primer with some 36 grit, then use your Aircraft stripper. Scrape it off with a long handled razor blade tool, putty knives are too dull. It may take two or three applications, but it'll come off. Keep it out of the sun.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If you choose to try the aircraft stripper again, cover it with seran wrap or wax paper and let it sit for say 45 min. Seems to keep it from drying to fast and allows the stripper to work longer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I will see what I have tomorrow and I will get to work on it. The previous paint job was done TERRIBLY. They didn't cover up some of the chrome. So a few chrome pieces have black paint splattered on them. I guess you get what you pay for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts