Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, doing a frame off? post your rolling chassis before during or after restoration.

I've never seen the frame off in high res on one of these cars so there's a lot of speculation for me as to how mine is setup.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
This one does not roll but it is the bare frame from my 57 2D HT.

Jim

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one does not roll but it is the bare frame from my 57 2D HT.
Jim
I don't see a pic but I looked it up in your sig.

your car is beautiful!

I'd love an ls powertrain and 4 wheel IFS.. this car would be my daily driver lol.

maybe one day..

7,080 Posts
Great documentation FIFTYFIVE. Hope to do that with the pics on mine when I figure out how to do it. Thank You. Perfect if you had put some meat on those rims (sorry, couldn't help myself, just personal preference). Beautiful job. :shakehands: Lloyd

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very nice!

I see what looks to me like a 700r4 there fifty-five.

Did you HAVE to remove the oe tranny support mounts behind the motor to run that transmission? or did you just do that to clean things up?

I'm trying to figure out what's involved in a th350/700r4 swap.

Also trying to see how brake lines and fuel lines are routed OEM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good Luck getting any more frame pictures, darkfox1.

Fifty-five kinda took the fun out of it.:adore:

.......beautiful frame.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Great documentation FIFTYFIVE. Hope to do that with the pics on mine when I figure out how to do it. Thank You. Perfect if you had put some meat on those rims (sorry, couldn't help myself, just personal preference). Beautiful job. :shakehands: Lloyd
Thanks Lloyd. I originally took the pics for fun, I'm a bit of a photography buff. And in the end I'm really glad I did, so much to look back and think of the memories. And help people that want to see things they might be having a hard time finding...

I see what looks to me like a 700r4 there fifty-five.

Did you HAVE to remove the oe tranny support mounts behind the motor to run that transmission? or did you just do that to clean things up?

I'm trying to figure out what's involved in a th350/700r4 swap.
Your eyes aren't fooling yeah, that is a 700r4. :) I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm not sure which mount you are referring to. As you can see in the first pics of the frame, when we pulled the engine that came with the car, there was nothing left in the frame. So I guess we didn't remove anything, maybe the owner before us did?? All I can say is go for it you're thinking about it, it truly is a great tranny. Nice and quick off the line, and crazy low rpm's on the freeway. We're at about 1300rpm's on the freeway at 70mph.

Beautiful work Fifty-Five. What is the dimension on the wheels? (Rims and tires) Thanks.
Thanks! The front wheels are 18x8 with a 245/45/18 tire. And the rear wheels are 20x10 with a 295/35/20...

Good Luck getting any more frame pictures, darkfox1.

Fifty-five kinda took the fun out of it.

.......beautiful frame.
Thanks, I hope i didn't take too much of the fun out. I was only trying to help... :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Lloyd. I originally took the pics for fun, I'm a bit of a photography buff. And in the end I'm really glad I did, so much to look back and think of the memories. And help people that want to see things they might be having a hard time finding...

Your eyes aren't fooling yeah, that is a 700r4. :) I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm not sure which mount you are referring to. As you can see in the first pics of the frame, when we pulled the engine that came with the car, there was nothing left in the frame. So I guess we didn't remove anything, maybe the owner before us did?? All I can say is go for it you're thinking about it, it truly is a great tranny. Nice and quick off the line, and crazy low rpm's on the freeway. We're at about 1300rpm's on the freeway at 70mph.

Thanks! The front wheels are 18x8 with a 245/45/18 tire. And the rear wheels are 20x10 with a 295/35/20...

Thanks, I hope i didn't take too much of the fun out. I was only trying to help... :(
no you did help!

I'm a bit surprised/concerned frankly that these frames have 2 crossmembers only. From what I can tell from the inner and outer body mounts they seemed to have used the body to keep the frame straight and visa versa.. which is a terrible idea!

I'm not going to be doing a frame-off on my car, though I know it really needs it.. I think it will be ok with the complete lack of rain snow and other things that it gets now.

what I really need to know is how the brake lines are routed and the fuel lines, where they are on the frame, how they're held on.. so that I can easier re-run these with the car assembled.. as it looks to be a HUGE pain from using my trusty flashlight and crawling around on the floor.

Maybe 55s didn't have this but my powerglide has mounts that hold it up directly behind the engine, they seem to be part of the front body mounts. I don't wanna cut anything off my frame.

fifty five, did you have to drill holes for the tranny crossmember you are using? What about the front sway bar?

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Here is a frame I did for my 55 roadster last year. I built the center to resemble a Morrison. When I jacked up the front left tire to change a shock, the entire left side came up. I was not expecting that! These centers really work.

·
12,256 Posts
Hey guys, how about not re-posting all of the pics when you reply? :)

Here's one I did for a C4 Corvette suspension conversion, and using a Morrision crossmember similar to Hafrods.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts