Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll go ahead and tell you what I got. I have a 57 210 2 dr. post. I weighed it without me and it is 3370lbs. So with me, lets just round it up to 3600lbs. I have a 350 bored .040, flat tops, 291 double hump heads with 1.94 valves, comp cams XE268 cam, edelbrock performer intake, holley 600, headers, stock HEI, saginaw 4 speed, and a open rear with 3.55 gears. When I raced, I didn't pop the clutch because I didn't want to spin. I eased out on it and then nailed it after I was moving. That seemed to work ok. However, it just seems my engine doesn't pull real hard. I was hoping for a 14 second time slip, but could only get mid 15's. I've checked the compression and its good. My cam didn't wipe out during break in. My fuel pressure is good. I've checked all of the basics. The car does seem to run rich all of the time. I've had to change my sparkplugs twice within a few months. I've tried 3 different carbs and that didn't help. I know my car could benefit from a super tune. I'm wondering if my heads could be the culprit. they haven't been professionally rebuilted. I just lapped them myself and put in new valve seals and springs. I do get a puff of smoke sometimes when I start it. I think thats the valve guides. I would like to race it again this spring, but I know it needs some attention somewhere. I had a 79 camaro with a similar built 350, auto tranny, and 2.73 gears that was almost a full second faster in the 1/4. It ran a [email protected] People have told me its the aerodynamics coming into play. I could see that if I was trying to hit 200 mphs. I don't know, anybody have any suggestions or any timeslips to compare mine to?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
198 Posts
hey joe

i would have to give the 1 second diff. between the camaro and the 57 to the automatic tranny. just cant shift faster than one of them puppies.my 57 is the same as yours 355s, cam, 4 speed, 600carb. only i have a bored out 327. it's the weight joe, these suckers are just plain heavy.shed some weight gain some horsepower and get it to hook up so you can dump the clutch and you'll get high 13s dave.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You have to be turning 6,000 RPMs in high gear when you cross the finish line in a street driven car ..... 7,000 or more for a pure strip car. You could use a heavy flywheel and run a 4.56 or 4.88 posi. Dump the clutch at 5,000 off the line. Slapper bars or looooong lader bars , soft slicks should get you into the 13s. Your 60 foot time is the most important part of the race. You need to be at or under 2 seconds to be in the 13s.

Of course, this means you are going to be turning 3000 rpm driving down to the local burger joint.

·
Administrator
49,342 Posts
Everybody says the trifives are heavy but in reality they are lighter than the Chevelles by around 500lbs. I own one of each and the title weight shows this to be true. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
Registered
641 Posts
Last year my 69 Chevelle had a mostly stock 350 with a 350hp factory grind cam and I used a 1968 Quadrajet instead of the 600 Holley.

I have a 3.08 open diff and a TH350 auto with a Street/Strip shift kit.

In full street dress, with traction bars, I ran a best of 14.38 @ 96.96 last year spinng the right rear tire for the first 30' from the tree.

I have since redone the engine to almost the exact specs yours has now, but have yet to run it at the track since I had traction problems with the less potent engine build.

You would surely benefit from some sticky tires and a posi so you can leave harder off the line. Your ET is probably also suffering because you have to row through the 4 speed tranny.

Your ET tells me you are sluggish for the first 500' or so, but still have a decent top end charge running 90mph through the traps.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,566 Posts
Joe don't forget that you have a box fighting the wind, while that Camaro is sleek. At top end this makes a big difference. Yea horsepower can help over come that, but it gets tough to fight that friction.

I had this same sort of problem years ago and found I had great fuel pressure until topped out in 4th on thr track, then it would dump to less than 1 PSI. Checked this with a mechanical gauge while running 1/4 mile, bigger electric pump made all the difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
your mph suggests your making more power than your putting to use, thats good news there is room for improvement with what you have. That is probably from the babying off the line, you cant outdrive a bad 60ft time. That combo looks to me like a solid 300-325 hp, mix that with a good tune, a hard run (with traction) I see high 14s.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I think my car has the potential to run faster, I just need to work on it a little harder. I have thought about switching heads. I have a good set of 993's. I would lose some compression with the 76cc chambers, but I think I could run more initial timing. My engine pings and is hard to start when its hot now. With the lower compression heads I could run 87 octane. I'm just throwing around ideas.
One other thing, most people have said with the saginaw 4speed and 3.55 gears I should be able to almost go thru the 1/4 in 3rd gear. I think my tires are 26 inches tall. I'm well into 4th before I get to the finish line and that is shifting at 5500rpm.
Thanks again guys.
Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
if ur having probs with engine drag, then make it so that when u pop ur hood, the engine ID plate says MODEL ZZ572/720R DELUXE

that will end ALL ur engine drag. it's just a plain ol' GM crate motor. :D

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Nice....not sure what I'll run off the bottle yet...454, 30 over. 400th Gear Vendors, Dana 60 4:11 gear...Holley Dominator by Richard Birchfield...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Agree with what others have said: 90 mph trap speed indicates potential to run mid 14-ish. You’re likely losing out in the first 60’

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,206 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.