Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

I think I am done with Optima batteries

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  B/MP 
#1 ·
I have had 4 or 5 Optimas in the last 6 years. When I have had them replaced, the local dealer has stated that he replaces more than he sells. I disconnect them and use a trickle charger while the car sits. But they still seem to fail. I am thinking of just switching to an Interstate, that is what my dad has used in his, also trunk mounted, and has no problems. Any opinions on this? Am I the only one with this kind of luck? Started with a yellow top, they switched me to a red top. 2 batteries ago.

#2 ·
Are you using an electronic, charge sensing trickle charger?

If you aren't, that may be your problem. And it may continue to be a problem with a lead acid battery.

Even at that, 4 or 5 batteries in 6 years seems like a lot. Something's not right, and it may not be your batteries.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Charger, is an Interstate 12v900,(floater/trickle charger) sold to me when one of my first batteries failed, by the Optima dealer. I was assuming it was a draw on the car, killing the battery at first, that is why I completely disconnect battery when not in use and put on charger. do the Optimas require a specific charger?

#7 ·
Caterpillar lead acid for me, comes with a 5 or 6 year pro-rata warranty ( depending on which one you get) In my ov i have clocked up 7 1/2 years and i am about to replace (due to now in winter down under) its showing its age :)
I can attest to their reliability. i was employed for 28 years with them and only ever have purchased a total of 6 batteries for my own use( All CAT).

#12 ·
Yes, Mainly designed for the earth moving industry. So they are heavy duty.
Years ago they made smaller car size batteries for the smaller machines by public demand.
Available most times off the shelf at a Caterpillar dealer. You will need your dimensions ( ie: H x W x L and post positions) to be able to get one close to what you need.
Be sure if you do go this route to purchase the rubber case unit and not the plastic case one. Plastic case are light duty and do not last long ( Not good life span in my opinion)

#11 ·
I bought my '56 Delivery in 2009 and it has
a red top Optima in it.I take it out of the
'56 in the winter for at least 6 months and
leave it near my battery charger and give
it a trickle charge(2 amps) every couple of
months when not in use.I don't know when
the guy I bought the '56 from bought this
Optima.All I know is it's more than 4 years old
now.Good life for this battery.At this point it
could pack it in anytime.
I hope I'm not jinxing myself now.:sign0020:

PS:-My battery charger is an automatic Canadian
Tire brand called a Master-Craft.

#13 ·
I have used lots and lots (literally dozens) of yellow top Optimas in show cars over the years with mixed results but I would say that we had more good results than bad. Usually the ones that failed were in a vehicle that someone left something on in too long.

My first red top is in my Jeep that has been in there for at least 5 years and I abuse the crap out of it and it is still going strong. The Jeep was sitting for a while and started to get hard to start a few months back and I put a charger on it and then drove it for a while and for the last month it has been doing great again.

I am between Odyssey, Optima and Kinetik on my '56 build but have not decided. I like the Odyssey because there are so many size options and I am making a battery try that will go in my spare tire well. I don't have any experience with the Odyssey so I am not sure yet.

#14 ·
I have never been able to justify 200 bucks for a battery. There are only a handful of battery manufacturers. Kind of like refrigerators. One company makes them and then badges them for many others. I have had over seventy vehicles including cars, motorcycles, atv's, tractors, etc. I can't definitively say that any one brand of battery is better than another. I have had a Walmart battery in my Kubota for eight years, and my wife's car has killed two interstate batteries in four years. I think wiring and clean connections makes more difference than how much you pay for the battery.

G
#15 ·
I have a good friend that is a battery dealer, and sells Optima batteries as well. He is one of the most honest people I know, and even he says Optima are the brand he has the most adverse issues with.

When he gets a new load of Optima batteries, he brngs them to full charge, then load tests them, lets them sit for 24 hours, and load tests them agan. If they don't hoild the voltage for that 24 hours, they go back to Optima as new-defective.

He has obtaned other brands of AGM and sealed batteries for me, and I have had NO issues with them, but with the 5 Optima batteries I have had over the years, ALL were JUNK, none of them were obtained from swap meets, nor garage sales.

I just don't like trying to run an over-sized flashlight battery in my vehicles.

#16 ·
I was one of the contractors that built their first US plant in Aurora, CO, 25+ years ago. As I recall they came from Sweeden. They had amazing QC and built a good product.
Some years back, they shut down the plant, as I recall they were purchased by Johnson Controls, who is big into batteries (and everything else). My brother worked for York (the AC people) who was also owned by JC. They could buy Optima batteries that were produced in Mexico.
Hard to say what JC did to the original Swedish concept, but judging from most reports, they changed something in the process.

G
#19 ·
Of course, it ISN'T the design of that type battery, it IS the quality of both the components, and assembly being called into scrutiny on the Optima batteries.

When you start with a defective product from the beginning, life span, performance will always be compromised, just a matter of time for the product to degrade to unusable, no matter the product.

My friend doesn't have many Optima failures after sale, because he is forced to do is due diligence before he sells one, because there are so many of new Optima's he sees that are compromised from the very start. Far more Optima's than other brands of the same type battery.

#22 ·
That is what I did yesterday. hooked to another good battery, got it charging, after half hour, put it on the charger by itself, let it charge 8 hours to fully charged. I let it sit overnight then put in the car and it fired up. I did a min/max test with a multimeter when starting and it only dropped to 11 volts when starting. So i guess time will tell.

G
#21 ·
As I said previously, it ISN'T the technology, it is all in the quality of the components used in the builds, and it seems more than clear the NEW OPTIMA, no matter whom now owns it, just ain't up to snuff any more.

No amount of creative charging will rectify a bad quality product, no matter how sound the technology of it was, and, is now.

#25 ·
you have a usa made one. several years ago they moved their operations south of the border . they haven't been the same since.

G
#26 ·
Optima batteries are a whole lot like MSD Blaster, and Accel Super Stock coils, USED to be great quality made n the USA. But, now, Optima ain't made here no 'mo, MSD coils went to Mexico first (BIG mistake on MSD's part), now China (even BIGGER mistake), and are just plan trash, and Accel went from here, to Taiwan, still junk (total disaster).

Sometimes, you just can't fix worst case products, even if they have otherwise great names plastered all over them.

#28 ·
After the problems I've had with my latest new one, I'll be looking for something else next time. If the quality had stayed the same I'd be a lifelong customer, but it hasn't so I won't. :flag6: Blake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.