Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before today, I noticed in the past that whenever I put my 2 speed powerglide into gear (drive or reverse) it seemed to slam into gear really hard. The fluid levels are good as I check them regularly. This morning, I was letting my '57 idle in the garage while I was checking something else, and when I went to put it into reverse, it slammed as usual, the tires screeched as the gear engaged (never did that before), and the engine almost sounded like it was under more drag than usual. I've never heard the engine sound the way it did today. When I went to put it in park, it sounded like something inside the transmission was broken and spinning around. I put it into drive and it went forward as usual. And when I went to put it in park again, it sounded normal.

I didn't know what was going on, so I turned it off and came straight here. I hope someone can give me some guidance as to what is going on.

I am very mechanically inclined, but a frontier I have never explored is transmissions. I am very fearful to pull a transmission by myself with no help. If necessary, I will take it to a tranny shop but it would be nice to know beforehand what is wrong with it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Sounds internal for sure, I'd look around for a shop the really knows this transmission, before you settle on who does the work. But then again a nice 700R4 may cost the same as the repairs. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If it's a cast iron glide, you better get a couple of buddies to help you get it out of the car. That thing weighs a ton.

From your description it sounds like the converter is going south, dragging to much, noise, and then slamming into gear could all be caused by this. Of course a complete tear down would be necessary as the converter will shed metal into the trans.

·
Registered
206 Posts
sledgehammer is exactly right you have a converter gone. when they go bad they shoot fine metal thru out the tranny which causes valves in the valvebody to start to stick. either have the tranny rebuilt along with a rebuilt converter or change to a 700r4 :sign0016:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts