Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We blasted my 57 hardtop. There are issues we are working on.

After we pulled out the engine, I noticed that the humped area of the firewall was beat to a pulp with a hammer. We think someone did it to make room for a big block as the car appeared to be a drag car at one time. The rest of the firewall is in very good shape. I hate getting rid of the original firewall to fix the area. It is also pricey. Does anyone have an old firewall with a solid hump they are willing to cut out and sell?

Stan

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Replacement ?

I'd at least trial fit whatever engine I was going to use with all its accessories and what is actually visible before replacing it . Major work, You might get away with a little messaging at bondo. Many cars with tall cover small blocks would love the extra room you are describing. I also had my cor media blasted about 3 weeks ago and I suggest blowing and flush (with warte hose) the living daylight out of the vent sytem you'll be suprized how much you get out.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
A photo of what you describe might make it easier to advise.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a good one, I'll get some pics tomorrow.. Your in ohio may not be that far from me.. The one I have is in perfect shape and has never seen a hammer... Let me know ...thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
Never mind I just reread your post and now see that you have a 57, the one I have is for a 55 I think they are different sorry.. I tried good luck with your search..:tu

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never mind I just reread your post and now see that you have a 57, the one I have is for a 55 I think they are different sorry.. I tried good luck with your search..:tu
That sucks. Thanks for thinking about it. Hopefully someone has one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is it really too far to hammer and dolly out? Replacing it would probably be a good bit more work unless it has really been stretched outta shape.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
My '56 firewall was the same way. Sledge hammered way to bad to be repaired so I welded a new hump area in from a donor firewwall. It was not that difficult and saved alot of hours of trying to repair damaged one. At the same time I filled and smoothed the remainder of the fireall. :anim_25:

·
Registered
67,683 Posts
sponsors sell replacement panels too. :anim_25:

·
Registered
93 Posts
firewall panel

How big of piece do you need? I have a 57 firewall and is not beat up but there is rust high in the toe boards.Let me know thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How big of piece do you need? I have a 57 firewall and is not beat up but there is rust high in the toe boards.Let me know thanks.
I can take a picture Tuesday. I pretty much need the areas where there are it indents. Starting next to the opening for the heater, lower part at the crease. The right side to where it start flat again before you get to hole for steering. Does that give you an idea?

Stan

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If your running a small block then its a concern if your planning on running a big block then its a mute point. Because if you want to do it right you'll need to buy one of those firewall section specifically made for a big block but if small block is your choice of power plant there are plenty of vendors out there offering replacement firewalls they may be a pit pricy for your repair. I would first try reversing the process with a sledge hammer, from the inside of course maybe I think you may be surprised at how easy you'll find it to get pretty close to the original shape.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.