Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my rain gear wipers installed....and made repairs to my A/C system ducts/hoses. I'm now finding that I can't fit my am/fm stereo behind the dash with the hoses, etc...

I need a really SHALLOW Am/Fm unit. (I don't need cassette, CD, etc....)

Current unit is about 6" deep from the face (Custom Auto Sound)...Does anyone know of a super-shallow unit that will work with limited room?

Ace

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts
Ace....Sounds like you need one that you can instasll an operate by remote

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I ran into that after installing the A/C and put the radio under the rear seat of the wagon. I had an old rusted radio that I cut the last 3rd off and installed the rest in the dash to make it look original, good day.

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sledgehammer, it's not a vintage air unit. (of course very similar) I'm not sure on the mfg...but the outlets on the underdash unit point straight at the dash. Just too tight in there for everything.
(And I forgot to mentioned I want to try to fit a Vintage Air shallow glove box in there as well...)

David and Henry.....good ideas.....they've pointed me toward the Secret Audio SST system from Custom Audio. Hidden receiver/amp (under seat or behind dash somewhere) with remote. I think that might be the answer...and Henry good idea on the dummy unit in the original dash location.

Ace

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mr265.....another great option!! (pricey, but very cool)

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up going with the "Retro Sound" unit.....http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-stereo-retrosound-model-one-1957.html

My problem was width, not depth....this unit solved the problem and was half of the cost of the vintage auto radio set up. The vintage auto radio definitely had a more "stock" look, but I like the broader features a little better on this one......I got 10% off on the Eckler's order right now (Thanksgiving weekend promotion. I had to add a $1.99 light bulb to push it over $250)

Thanks for all the input.......really helped me find the right product for my problem.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts
Looks like a good solution Ace!

Super Small 4" W x 5.37" D x 2" T Chassis Size Fits The Tightest Under Dash Situations

1 - 10 of 10 Posts