Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

I want to buy your car!!!

3K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  roger1 
#1 ·
Met my daughter at the Great Harvest Bread Bakery today. With wife in tow we were enjoying our lunch. Of course I brought the Nomad and had it parked in a secluded spot away from other cars. As I'm watching my car I can see all these cars driving by and in circles around it. Gives you a good feeling to know people appreciate your work. At the end of lunch I see two guys get out and start taking pictures.(happens a lot) As I'm walking up one guy says"is this your Nomad"? I said"yes,it is". He said he was in love with it and wanted to know what my price was because he was interested in buying it. The gentleman was very cordial and polite and I could tell he was sincere and not one who just wanted to know the worth to satisfy his curiosity. Put in those perspectives and it leaves you rather flattered. I told him the Nomad was very dear to me as I just got it on the road last year and I did not want to sell it. As I showed him some more points of interests I could tell it was really gnawing at him. "Are you sure you wouldn't want to sell it? I've been looking for something like this for a while." I told him even if I wanted to sell it I'd ask a lot more than its worth. He smiled and said what do you think its worth? So I told him what ever somebody is willing to give. In other words you can throw the "blue book" away. He said he understood and thanked me for showing him my car, then somebody else drove up and here we go again. But, I love it. You know, I have compassion for those guys because I used to be one of them!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are absolutely right. Great 'mad and we don't blame you for not wanting to sell. If you sold it, you would regret it for yrs. In the early 70's my new bride and I lived in western PA. Our very first car (still have it) was a '55 2 dr 210. Drove it everywhere. People Always say "how much" or " how much do you want for IT". I'd look around and say, "I don't have a for sale sign on it, so I guess it is not for sale". Most would not take no for an answer. I was not trying to be smart, it's the only car we had as college students. Yes, I totally understand. A classic is a classic and there is nothing that is going to change that. Nice nomad guy. How much???

#9 ·
Mickey that same thing happened to me the first time I took my 1960 Corvette to a local cruise. Guy whipped out his check book and said call me when the check clears your account! Needless to say I didn't take the check, but it sure is good for the ego!

Don

#10 ·
Selling your car...

i sold more than a few cars & motorcycles at car cruises & shows throughout the years. Some had cash on them, so I removed the plates and called home for a ride. Another time I hitch-hiked 120 miles in the evening to get home (With $5,000 in my pocket).
I won a 2nd place trophy at a show with my 71' Monte a few years ago.
A guy said he'd buy it if the trophy came with it, he even gave my wife & I
a ride home!
Have you ever noticed that when you really need to sell a car (Or item) nobody wants it... even if it's really nice?

#12 ·
Beautiful Nomad. I can see why this guy wanted it.

I friend of mine had built a 1/4 scale 350 V8 engine with electronic ignition, oil pressurized, etc. He was at a trade show in Los Angeles. Reggie Jackson showed up at his booth and wanted to buy it. Lee told him no, not for sale. But Reggie figured all he had to do is throw a large number at him and the engine was his. Didn't work. Lee built it from scratch and it had more sentimental value than what Reggie could afford. Eventually Reggie got the message.

Glad you held your ground.

#13 ·
By the pound.

Yes, your Nomad has tons of appeal. Great job!

In the seventies when folks would ask how much for the '55, I'd say "I'll take fifteen pounds of twenty dollar bills." When they'd asked how much is that, I'd say, if you have to ask, then you can't afford it.

Now figuring one gram per $20 note, x 454 notes per pound x 15 pounds = 6810 $20 bills = $136,200.

I suspect owners of those immaculately restored high end show quality cars have every bit of $100K invested.

In another 30 years, fifteen pounds will be a bargain.
:proud:

It's great to see how much you are enjoying your outings with the Nomad. Keep the reports coming!

#14 ·
Beautiful Nomad!

The Nomad looks fantastic! Could you tell me the size and offset of your front wheels and the tire size? Are those Weld Racing ProStar wheels? Was thinking about getting those for my '57. They look great on your Nomad.

Again, beautiful Nomad!

Thanks!

#16 ·
Yah, you gotta be careful what you say to people..........Years ago I put together (with the help of a lot of talented friends) a 1956 Studebaker President 2 door wagon. Took about 5 years, and then, had it on the road for about another 5. We were headed to a show in Laughlin, NV. Stopped for breakfast in Wickenburg, AZ. This was on a Wednesday, show gets over on Sunday. While waiting for our food, my wife asks "Isn't it about time to sell the Studebaker?" The way I answer that question will determine the enjoyment level of the weekend. I told her I wouldn't sell it for anything less than XXXXX.XX. I thought I was out of trouble with that answer. We drove on, and had a good weekend. My wife went shopping, and came back to the car with a for sale sign and put it on the front seat. I didn't give it another thought. Sure as heck, she sold it Sunday morning. I should have made the number much higher!

#17 ·
I would need at least a 1/4 mil."
Don you are cheap. I priced mine to a guy last year for 1 mil.:D Mine is part of me and it would be extremely hard to let it go.
Terry

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Hypothetically speaking.

Say you put 50K into a car, just got it done and don't want to sell it. And, you figure it's realistically worth less than what you have in it if you were to try to sell it.

Some rich guy says it's just what he's been looking for and I'll give you 70K cash for it right now.

Do you sell?

#21 ·
Well, it would be a virtual trade off. If you really need the money $50k is a lot of money to put in a car just to turn around and sell. To put $50k in a car and pay let's say $15k to start with is like having $65k sunk in it. Then turn around and sell for $50k, you just lost $15k. Don't get me wrong if you have to that's another story. But if you are doing it just together rid of it and do it all over again, you're going in the wrong direction

#20 ·
The wife and i went to a town 45 miles away in the 57 to eat last Friday night. We ended the trip with a stop at Braum`s. As we were pulling out a guy in a suv flagged me down and asked if it was for sale, i answered no. Sure?, he asks. I tell him no way. He says i`ll even throw in a new roof. He had advertising on his suv for a roofing co. As we were driving away i told my wife the new roof wouldn`t even amount to the cost of the paint job. :D
Terry

#22 ·
And, you figure it's realistically worth less than what you have in it if you were to try to sell it.

Some rich guy says it's just what he's been looking for and I'll give you 70K cash for it right now.

Do you sell?
Would depend. If the car was just bought and built or if it had a lot of sentimental value also.
Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.