Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just kinda wondering if there were any "junkyard" power steering systems that can be used in a 55 Chevy? Possible to pc one together out of stock junk yard cars and trucks??

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Other than a power steering pump and brackets, no. The sector shafts on all gear boxes are to short. Your better off buying a 500 gear box. Look around for a deal, sometimes they are sold on Ebay.:anim_25:

·
Registered
36,123 Posts
The ONLY junkyard conversion is a 605. It's been around 25 years. You can do it cheap, but it's a lot of trouble to do cheap, and the results are not well liked by many. Plans for doing it are on the internet.

Most 605 conversions are (were) commercial though.

And they've been superseded by the CPP500 and similar boxes, which are reasonably priced and far better.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ONLY junkyard conversion is a 605. It's been around 25 years. You can do it cheap, but it's a lot of trouble to do cheap, and the results are not well liked by many. Plans for doing it are on the internet.

Most 605 conversions are (were) commercial though.

And they've been superseded by the CPP500 and similar boxes, which are reasonably priced and far better.
I just pulled a tilt steering column out of an 88 Suburban with a 700R4, I plan on using this steering clumn in my 55 wagon. Can I still use the CPP500 with this?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Not likely, it's probably too long. When using a 500 (or any other PS gear) the column can protrude into the engine bay at most an inch or so. You might be able to shorten that column though. But there are short columns already made, by Flaming River, IDIDIT and CPP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I guess I wont know untill I get it installed. If i need to shorten the column or not.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If your are a fabricator, most anything is possible, the thing I lack is patience, I ended up getting a tilt column from CPP and have been real happy with it, also got their 500 steering box. that is not yet installed. I took out a 605 that I had had converted.

Randy FC

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your are a fabricator, most anything is possible, the thing I lack is patience, I ended up getting a tilt column from CPP and have been real happy with it, also got their 500 steering box. that is not yet installed. I took out a 605 that I had had converted.

Randy FC
Well I'm not quite a fabricator, but I know my way around building cars and playing with tools....:happy0030:

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Well I'm not quite a fabricator, but I know my way around building cars and playing with tools....:happy0030:
I know you meant that in jest, but that statement points to something you should consider: whether or not you are capable of doing all the mods needed when you pick up "junkyard" parts to fit on your car.

I have no idea of your skill level, so I don't say that as a criticism. I only mean that sometimes it's best to know your limits (to mention nothing of the safety factor). The particular modified stuff you are talking about can be found at reputable suppliers, and have already been engineered properly, are new (not used/questionable), and have installation instructions and tech help. All those things considered, their cost is reasonable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm.....So what is the most cost effective way to do the swap? Or who has the best prcing on new stuff?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
There are on line instructions for installing 76 and older van columns in 55-57 at CCIs site. I have 2 of those 87 truck tilts in my shop and see no way of using them in anything besides my 87 trucks.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I used an 84 Monte Carlo tilt column in my wagon. I cut off the firewall plate from the column and used joints and shaft from Flaming River to join to the rack, good day.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used an 84 Monte Carlo tilt column in my wagon. I cut off the firewall plate from the column and used joints and shaft from Flaming River to join to the rack, good day.
Do you have pictures of that?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts