Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any new cars (not trucks) nowadays that still have a column shift automatic? My brother wants to get his wife a new car...However, for some reason she only wants one with the shifter on the column.
Sure would like a column shift on my 55 instead of a floor shifter. But due to the idiot and CPP steering it can't be done. Seems like the majority of trifive cars get the floor treatment when restored. I rather have a auto column shift so at times when I don't need to climb over a shifter as the garage is so small that I can't open the drivers side door with the car pulled forward.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,910 Posts
Sure would like a column shift on my 55 instead of a floor shifter. But due to the idiot and CPP steering it can't be done. Seems like the majority of trifive cars get the floor treatment when restored. I rather have a auto column shift so at times when I don't need to climb over a shifter as the garage is so small that I can't open the drivers side door with the car pulled forward.
Why can't you use a shortened steering column?

·
Registered
281 Posts
???? I have a CPP steering gear and an Ididit tilt/column shift in my 55. It's a bolt-in deal.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
???? I have a CPP steering gear and an Ididit tilt/column shift in my 55. It's a bolt-in deal.
I called ididit and they said no way that I could fit it. Could you take a picture under the hood of the steering box, and rag joint area and post it. Thanks

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,910 Posts
I called ididit and they said no way that I could fit it. Could you take a picture under the hood of the steering box, and rag joint area and post it. Thanks
Not sure who you were speaking with at Iditit, but there must have been a misunderstanding...

You have to get the correct length column to begin with or shorten what you have, if that's possible.

Here's are some articles that I have on using an Ididit column with a CPP-500 steering box

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Here’s a couple of pics under hood. As long as you get the correct column and rag joint it fits. I think I added some washers between the column and shifter arm to shim it out from the firewall, where it rubbed, which was no big deal.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I didn't have any trouble with the Ididit column shift tilt column and the 605 box in my 56, and I think the 605 and 500 are interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
This setup does work just make sure you get the correct joint and make sure it is driven all the way onto gearbox before installing it,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got off the phone with Derek Auten at Ididit. He just told me that the CPP box will NOT work with an Ididit column. Maybe it is a CYA thing over there?

Gary

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got off the phone with Derek Auten at Ididit. He just told me that the CPP box will NOT work with an Ididit column. Maybe it is a CYA thing over there?

Gary
That's what they told me and they were adamant about it.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I wonder what Flaming River has to say about they're column & CPP 500 box I used the shortened CPP stock column kit as I didn't want a tilt column anyway. I did price a straight column shift column but decided on the kit instead for cost & it works fine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don`t know what to tell you. I posted pics and part numbers. The Ididit colomn works with a CPP box. Originally my 55 had a 605 box and a floor shift Ididit tilt column. It worked as well.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don`t know what to tell you. I posted pics and part numbers. The Ididit colomn works with a CPP box. Originally my 55 had a 605 box and a floor shift Ididit tilt column. It worked as well.
I believe you. I don't know why the steering column company said no to my question.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts