Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to order a tilt column for my 57 and I am looking for the pros and cons of each. I plan to have a column shift. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ididit's customer service is second to none. For that reason I'm glad I went with Ididit. In addition they build a quality part.

Mike

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have one of each and I like them both. I wouldn't consider any other vendor for my steering column. Just my opinion. Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Is it true that the Flaming River puts the wheel closer to the dash?
It can. The tilt mechanism plus the length of the cone is a little shorter on a FR column. It also depends on the year of the car. You can use a column a little shorter than they usually sell on a 55-56 because you can crowd the cone right up to the instrument bezel. 57 doesn't lend itself to that without more involved modifications (or ugly ones).

With special order columns, you have more latitude with a floor shift column than one with a column shift mechanism, because with a column shift there are more parts that have to be a custom length. An FR floor shift column is not hard for the user to shorten, but I understand it's not really something you can do with an Ididit.

The other way to get the steering wheel closer to the dash is with flat steering wheels or thin steering wheel adapters for custom wheels.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a cheap Chinese column in my car when I got it. I replaced it with a Flaming River column and it has been great

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I put an Ididit floor shift Column in my 66 Chevelle and liked it so much I bought a column shift column for my 56. I like both so much I'll be ordering a column shift one for my 71 pickup. Both my column shift ones are working with 700R4's.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
My vote is with Ididit, as mentioned before their customer service is outstanding.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have a Flaming River tilt column (floor shift) in my '56 Nomad which is fine. I purchased an IDIDIT column shift for my '57 Nomad and I've become concerned since purchase that it's going to be too close to ME... ie. not close enough to the dash. I might have to resort to a 'flat - no dish- steering wheel' if I can find a decent one...

·
Registered
109 Posts
When Mikey reduces his 57 wheels, do they become flatter? I'd like to do an original style wheel too but I'm tall with long arms.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have an IDIDIT floor shift paint version tilt column in my '56 210.

It has been an very good column except for the turn signal arm. The Set Screw has come loose several times in the past 13 + years. I finally used Loctite ® Threadlocker Red 271™ and that ended that issue. My '56 is a LS1 Tremic T-56 powered Street Rod (we completed in 2007) and I drive her a Lot. Yes, I'd purchase another IDIDIT.

I've assisted in a few Flaming River Columns, but have never owned one. But I have used and installed many Flaming River Products and they all where excellent quality. I've never had or heard of anyone having issues with poor quality nor premature failures with FR products.

Personally I prefer GM Steering Columns on some builds, But Finding the unit I would want has gotten very difficult. And the steering wheel selection can take some time in finding that perfect wheel that is high quality.

I believe both are great products. I've never disassembled Flaming River product so I can't state that their a better quality product.

As a retired Engineer I'm cautions and very particular, especially in suspension and steering. Both columns look well placed in most any Tri-5. Installation complexity depends much on what Steering box or Rack & Pinion conversion that one chooses, and of course the exhaust. I installed R&P steering kit in my '56 and the improvement are significant.

Because many of us Tri-5 owners tend to drive to many Street Rod events, quality and improvements in driving comfort and ease is important. Why I used a quality aftermarket steering column and a R&P system.

You might ask around your area and find owners that would provide their input and show you their install, using the 6 foot etc safe distancing..

Good Luck,

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
It can. The tilt mechanism plus the length of the cone is a little shorter on a FR column. It also depends on the year of the car. You can use a column a little shorter than they usually sell on a 55-56 because you can crowd the cone right up to the instrument bezel. 57 doesn't lend itself to that without more involved modifications (or ugly ones).

With special order columns, you have more latitude with a floor shift column than one with a column shift mechanism, because with a column shift there are more parts that have to be a custom length. An FR floor shift column is not hard for the user to shorten, but I understand it's not really something you can do with an Ididit.

The other way to get the steering wheel closer to the dash is with flat steering wheels or thin steering wheel adapters for custom wheels.

You might consider a bench seat relocation bracket which mounts to the factory position, and provides up to 4” of additional rear adjustment (away from the wheel). Easy way to gain additional space with my Ididit column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Only an option if you can reach the pedals, comfortably. Which is a very important part of driving comfort.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Ididit column needs to be painted...atleast mine did, what looked like brushed stainless, rusted.
It is very well engineered quality product, just pointed out the painting.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I have an IDIDIT floor shift paint version tilt column in my '56 210.

It has been an very good column except for the turn signal arm. The Set Screw has come loose several times in the past 13 + years. I finally used Loctite ® Threadlocker Red 271™ and that ended that issue. My '56 is a LS1 Tremic T-56 powered Street Rod (we completed in 2007) and I drive her a Lot. Yes, I'd purchase another IDIDIT.

I've assisted in a few Flaming River Columns, but have never owned one. But I have used and installed many Flaming River Products and they all where excellent quality. I've never had or heard of anyone having issues with poor quality nor premature failures with FR products.

Personally I prefer GM Steering Columns on some builds, But Finding the unit I would want has gotten very difficult. And the steering wheel selection can take some time in finding that perfect wheel that is high quality.

I believe both are great products. I've never disassembled Flaming River product so I can't state that their a better quality product.

As a retired Engineer I'm cautions and very particular, especially in suspension and steering. Both columns look well placed in most any Tri-5. Installation complexity depends much on what Steering box or Rack & Pinion conversion that one chooses, and of course the exhaust. I installed R&P steering kit in my '56 and the improvement are significant.

Because many of us Tri-5 owners tend to drive to many Street Rod events, quality and improvements in driving comfort and ease is important. Why I used a quality aftermarket steering column and a R&P system.

You might ask around your area and find owners that would provide their input and show you their install, using the 6 foot etc safe distancing..

Good Luck,

Michael
Fixed it for you. :sign0020:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I had intended to bring this same subject up since last weekend when I did some searching of past threads on this issue. My particular question is close, but hasn't exactly been answered. I'll be putting a tilt shift column in my '55 (with a CPP 500 box) and am hoping to see a real-world picture of a Flaming River unit in a '55-'56. In a past thread one post pointed out that the Ididit column shift unit looked 'clunky' (or some similar comment) at the speedometer end of the shift collar. The picture posted showed that comment was spot-on...it didn't look like it belonged there. I bought a CPP tilt many years ago and put it in a '56. Without dredging up all the negative comments about CPP columns, it did fit perfectly and looked like it belonged in the car. The issue is how the shift collar transitions to the column tube as it approaches the speedometer housing. The website picture looks to be similar in appearance in that area to the CPP unit I referenced. But before I drop several hundred dollars I'd like to see it installed. I understand the FR is easily shortened, if necessary - which might be a plus. The critical length measuring from the inner tube cutout for the gear position indicator is not an issue for me as I will be using a position sensor on the trans. So - anyone able to post a clear picture of a FR shift column in a '55-'56?
JR

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Ididit column needs to be painted...atleast mine did, what looked like brushed stainless, rusted.
It is very well engineered quality product, just pointed out the painting.
You can buy them in many different finishes. Yours is the must paint variety. I tried to just clear coat my bare metal(like yours) but it didn't stick. I ended up taking the clear off and primed/painted to match my dash. All rattle can paint.:):bowtier:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...I'll be putting a tilt shift column in my '55 (with a CPP 500 box) and am hoping to see a real-world picture of a Flaming River unit in a '55-'56. ….anyone able to post a clear picture of a FR shift column in a '55-'56?
Want to bump this up for the weekend - has anyone put a Flaming River column shift tilt column in a '55 or '56? Lots of pictures and discussion on floor shift columns, and Hotrodg726 posted a pictuer a couple of years ago of his Ididit that he was justifiably less than thrilled with. I'd like to see how a FR transitions from the shift collar to the column tube to where it goes into the speedometer bezel...
JR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts