Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may post this in the wrong forum, admin please move it where it needs to go. I am thinking about replacing my points, etc with electronic ignition. I know it isn't original to this car, but what is the best for a stock 283 with power pack option? I need to do the "kiss" deal (keep it simple stupid) as I'm too old and tired to do very much. :)

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
Call me old skool but I have kept the old style ign system because it is the kiss system.

The only disadvantage is that you need to crawl to get to the components.

Newer technology sure does seem to be what everybody is doing but I`ll stick to the old stuff for now :)

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Are you having problems with the points or just looking to update for the sake of updating?
Yep, can't seem to get a little stutter out of it.

The only disadvantage is that you need to crawl to get to the components
That is my biggest issue, I'm too old and too fat to do it right.

So, any suggestions if I do go electronic? Or maybe the stutter is not the points?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, i am not sure it is the points. I posted this issue before, never really got it fixed. It is kind of intermittent, new plugs, wires, points, condenser didn't fix it. Runs good while I'm getting on it, but just running speed, say about 40 or 50 mph, it seems to have a little miss. Drives me crazy.
What kind of stutter? Are you absolutely sure it's the points?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
I can see why. I will assume the coil is fairly fresh. I wonder if a valve is hanging up. Is there a little intermittent miss at idle? Might try putting a vacuum gauge on the motor. It's sort of a lost art but if the needle is jumping around a bit at idle my be an indicator that a valve is giving you a speck of trouble. Could also be a little dirt or something in the high speed circuit of the carb but the intermittent part is the puzzler. Might also confirm that you have no vacuum leaks just to be thorough.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have not done that, will give it a try, thanks.
I can see why. I will assume the coil is fairly fresh. I wonder if a valve is hanging up. Is there a little intermittent miss at idle? Might try putting a vacuum gauge on the motor. It's sort of a lost art but if the needle is jumping around a bit at idle my be an indicator that a valve is giving you a speck of trouble. Could also be a little dirt or something in the high speed circuit of the carb but the intermittent part is the puzzler. Might also confirm that you have no vacuum leaks just to be thorough.

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
Have you checked the ballast resistor can give you trouble when car is warmed up.

You say that you swapped out the plugs, did you check gap first.

I would now pull the plugs and see condition start from N0.1 work back according to firing order.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have not checked ballast resistor, will do that. Checked gap when I put in new plugs, none of the old ones were fouled or cracked. Thanks for your help.
Have you checked the ballast resistor can give you trouble when car is warmed up.

You say that you swapped out the plugs, did you check gap first.

I would now pull the plugs and see condition start from N0.1 work back according to firing order.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had slop in the distributor caused by bad bearings I guess in the distributor. The symptoms where intermittent timing and occasional missing. I kept looking at plugs and points which were not the prob.

I would go with something like the MSD.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your input. Have not been able to get on the car this week, my Mother is in the hospital. But I agree, I think it is going to take a new elec ign.
Let you know after I check the other areas (ballast resistor, vacuum, etc) thanks guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.