Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my 56 out for a drive today, came home left in the driveway for about 1/2 hour, went out to put it in the garage, it started up just like always, after putting in garage, I cannot turn the key to the left to cut it off, so I raised the hood thinking after unhooking the battery I could maybe turn key to start, jiggle it and get it working again. No such luck, key will go in and out, but will not turn right or left. I have read some posts on forum about this, but looks like everyone has taken a different approach, is there one best approach that works ?

Thanks in advance !

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,345 Posts
Is it an old switch like the original? The dimples on the contact plate may have worn through and is catching on the edge of the contacts. You may have to force it to the lock position to get the key tumbler out to change the switch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it an old switch like the original? The dimples on the contact plate may have worn through and is catching on the edge of the contacts. You may have to force it to the lock position to get the key tumbler out to change the switch.
My switch is not original GM, but is aftermarket from Ecklers, maybe 9-10 years old. Could have same problem as you describe, I plan to spray some PB blaster in, to maybe loosen something up, before I get more physical.
Thanks for the reply !

·
Registered
133 Posts
The problem is it is an aftermarket switch - they have nothing but problems sometimes shortly after installation, sometimes years later. Originals rarely go bad, it is such a simple design. Gm made them very well, China, not so much.

·
Premium Member
15,152 Posts
You will likely have to force it to off & lock so you can take it out for replacement. I'm honestly surprised you got 9-10 years out of one of those POS switches. Do yourself a favor and get a genuine Delco switch, They are on Ebay all the time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will likely have to force it to off & lock so you can take it out for replacement. I'm honestly surprised you got 9-10 years out of one of those POS switches. Do yourself a favor and get a genuine Delco switch, They are on Ebay all the time.
These Delco switches are used GM or do they still make new ?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I found a new old stock ign. switch still in the box for my 56 last year on ebay think it was around $100 but worth the difference

·
Premium Member
15,152 Posts
These Delco switches are used GM or do they still make new ?
They are not made any longer by Delco. There are still NOS switches around and the part number is 1116512.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts