Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions, all of a sudden the ignition switch on my 56 Belair won't go to the "lock" position. it is the original switch. Can this be repaired or should I look to buy a replacement. And where can I find instructions to pull this out of the dash ?? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Questions, all of a sudden the ignition switch on my 56 Belair won't go to the "lock" position. it is the original switch. Can this be repaired or should I look to buy a replacement. And where can I find instructions to pull this out of the dash ?? Thanks in advance for any help.
Try getting a new key cut by a locksmith using the number on the lock cylinder. If the glove compartment key still matches the ignition, that's an easy one to pull to check the number.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
You can't get the lock tumbler out of the switch unless it's in the lock position.
With the key in the lock position, insert a large paper clip in the small hole next to the key and turn slightly more CCW to remove the tumbler from the switch.
Sometimes a new key cut from the old one will even work.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
To remove the lock cylinder you need the
key in it set to the "off unlock" position,
then,using a paper-clip to depress the plunger
through the small hole in the key-way bezel,
rotate it counter-clockwise and it should pop out.

There's an error in the Shop Manual as it says to
turn clockwise,which isn't correct.:anim_25:

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,463 Posts
Try squirting some WD40 into the lock, it could just be dry and needs some lube, wish my joints were so easy to fix.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Recommend you do whatever you can to make/keep the original switch. Repop ones are terrible. (No pressure, LOL).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I took the car to the store yesterday and when I turned the key it went to the lock position. I didn't do anything to try to fix it yet so I guess I will just leave well enough alone for now. But will keep all the advice handy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad I found this thread because the same thing that happened to the original poster just happened to me - 56 Bel Air as well with the original ignition. I'd been meaning to get a spare key cut so I guess this will speed up that process. I'll also checkout the WD-40 option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.