Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody.I was wondering if any of you knows or has experience importing a car from the US to Canada.What I have learned so far is that I have to pay 5% at the boarder and 8% when I register the car here in Canada.What I am wondering is do I have to pay sales tax in the state I buy car?Do I have to pay any duties to US customs?Looking to buy a '55 hardtop.What do you think it would cost to have it shipped to me?Are there any hidden costs I may be overlooking?What paper work do I need for boarder crossing?Any and all info much appreciated.I live in Ontario about 80 miles north of Toronto.Thanks all.

·
Registered
295 Posts
importing

I did this 3-4 years ago so some things may have changed. You contact US customs and Canadian customs they will let you know what you have to do. Like faxing the US customs the vin and registration info. Takes a few days for them to check that out. Then you can bring it over. I purchased in New York and only paid Canadian tax. Be honest with the purchase price. It's not that hard to do. Good luck

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Hello everybody.I was wondering if any of you knows or has experience importing a car from the US to Canada.What I have learned so far is that I have to pay 5% at the boarder and 8% when I register the car here in Canada.What I am wondering is do I have to pay sales tax in the state I buy car?Do I have to pay any duties to US customs?Looking to buy a '55 hardtop.What do you think it would cost to have it shipped to me?Are there any hidden costs I may be overlooking?What paper work do I need for boarder crossing?Any and all info much appreciated.I live in Ontario about 80 miles north of Toronto.Thanks all.
Hi, I imported my BelAir out of Texas a couple of years ago and a convertable for my wife from Phoenix this year..the process is quite simple..its well worthwhile to have a customs broker do the RIV paper and walk it through the border for a couple of hundred bucks. You only pay the federal GST and the provincial sales tax where it will be registerd. My shipping enclosed from Texas to Alberta was $2300.00 the convertable on a open deck trailer was $1100.00. The customs broker i used was H&H brokers..i believe they work all the major crossings in Canada..the transport was US/CANADA AUTO TRANSPORT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts