Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've owned my '55 vert. for 14 months and it never left my driveway for various reasons. Mostly through choice I guess. I was finally able to get it registered recently and today was it's inaugural ride. Maiden voyage. It started quite well considering it had been sitting for about 6 months or so. Warmed up and backed out of the garage. Saw a decent size spot of transmission fluid on the floor and wasn't surprised. It was spread out. Always looks like more then it really is. I would guess at maybe no more then 1/2 quart. Checked the fluid (another post in different section) and filled it to capacity on dip stick. Previously checked anti-freeze, PS fluid and oil. All good. Then my journey began. Picked out a route on secondary roads, and it was 1955 all over again. I haven't driven a '55 of any type since I was 16. The car rode, handled and accelerated, better then I thought it would. I didn't hear any squeaking noises and thought I might from the convertible top. I was comfortable in the seat and the ride was nice. The power steering certainly isn't equivalent to todays, but I had no issues with it. I'm really glad this car has factory PS. The steering wasn't sloppy and responded quite well with that big wheel. Braking was a little different. It has factory PB and they seemed to work for what they are. It is 1955 technology afterall. More effort/pressure was needed then present day power brakes, but the car stopped just fine and straight. Didn't pull to either side. It has a stock/original 265 which had more power then I recall them having. Climbed some hills just fine. No engine missing. The transmission shifted like it should, depending on the throttle given. It went down the road straight not needing any correction. No shimmy but I think I will get the front end aligned. Overall, it was a very good ride. A thrill. Reminisced some. Was gone about 50 minutes. The car came with about 3/8ths tank of gas from 2015. I know, I should have drained it, but forgot. Before driving today, I added 2 bottles of Lucas octane booster and will go for another ride soon. Then fresh gas.
My intentions still are and have been all along, to swap out this motor and trans.for my built '57 265 and 200-4R transmission. I'm still on track to do that, but I waited a long time to enjoy this car and that's what I'm going to do first. If I was smart, which I've never claimed to be, I probably wouldn't do the swap. But the way it ran today, I can drive it for some time yet before doing anything to it. I should also mention that I really don't like that transmission. I'm not crazy about the burping that it does, but with stock 3.55 gears, I could really hear that mouse motor work. My speed today was for the most part about 45 mph, but sometimes I was up to 50-55 mph. The car could use an OD transmission. I guess that's about it for now. Thanks for taking the time to read this dissertation lol, Carmine.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Don't fill that trans, it'll keep puking. Leave it 1qt short and the puke will stop if you start it weekly

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't fill that trans, it'll keep puking. Leave it 1qt short and the puke will stop if you start it weekly
OK. Got it. Thanks. With my overfill, I can't wait to see the mess on the floor in the next few days. Should throw some speedy dry down now, Carmine.

·
Registered
66,978 Posts
very cool. your face has to hurt for grinning all day

·
Registered
194 Posts
Congrats Carmine . I know you've been through hell with DMV but it was probably all worth it . Beautiful day down here on the island .

Robbie OD

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride in a nice ride.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Carmine, glad you enjoyed the ride, with the breeze blowing in your face. I've been following your adventures, and glad to hear of no "happenings." I keep my PG fluid on the low end of the dip stick, no puking..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Long time coming - remember reading your posts as you chose to buy it, getting it home, etc... glad your first ride was successful. And I agree we'd like to see a couple of pics...get someone to grab a shot of you and it in your driveway (y).
JR

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Nothing like getting behind the wheel and enjoying your ride with a big smile on your face.

Later,
Kev

·
Administrator
65,224 Posts
You`ll get more daring as you get through more baby steps, you`ll travel further distances once your used to the cars performance and handling, sounds like you had a blast those memories have taken you back to when you were 16 (y)

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. This car hasn't been driven on the road since 2015. I didn't know what to expect exactly. I had a flat bed lined up just in case. This car appears very solid and sound. I didn't experience any issues at all. I live on a main highway but there are plenty of secondary roads around that intersect with each other. The traffic is much slower and more compatible for me. I could probably drive close to two hours and easily stay in my county. I do plan on increasing my time out and distance with this car. Actually, going out this afternoon with it. Maybe even tomorrow. Suppose to be nice, near 70 degrees, these two days. Rain for four days after that, Carmine.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I will try to get some pics posted. Went for a second ride this afternoon. Backed the car out and just a few tiny drops of transmission fluid on the floor. Nothing like yesterday. Guess I will have to start this car weekly, whether or not going for a ride. Put 10 gallons of fresh 93 octane gas in it. Had about 1/4 tank and now about 3/4 tank. It appears that the gas gauge is working properly. Wasn't really sure. Slightly longer ride today. Uneventful. Everything went well. Going to try tomorrow for another ride and then 4 days of bad weather. Also ordered some odd and end parts today, along with a spare tire. Will give me something to do next week, Carmine.

·
Registered
56 Bel Air
36 Posts
This post gives me hope! Very happy for you. I'm just getting started, so my inaugural ride is probably a couple of years off. Make sure when you run it weekly that you run it through the gears, maybe a minute or so in each gear.
Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
This post gives me hope! Very happy for you. I'm just getting started, so my inaugural ride is probably a couple of years off. Make sure when you run it weekly that you run it through the gears, maybe a minute or so in each gear.
Enjoy!!!!
I'm right there with you. I have about 4 or 5 more years of work ahead of me until I get to take my convertible project for it's first drive. It has not moved under it's own power in more than 30 years, at least.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm right there with you. I have about 4 or 5 more years of work ahead of me until I get to take my convertible project for it's first drive. It has not moved under it's own power in more than 30 years, at least.
Wow. That is a long time. I guess you can see light at the end of your tunnel. Best wishes with your car, Carmine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts